War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Discuss war diaries or aything relating to mentions of the Border Regiment from other regimental diaries.

Re: War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Monday, 26th June, 1916
"W" Day.
12.30 a.m. Paraded Bombers (Coy) for smoke attack at 5.40 a.m. Wind favourable.
Our artillery carried out an hour's intense bombardment from 4.50 - 5.50 a.m.
Hun got wind up and shelled us very heavily. Barrage of smoke a complete success.
We had a rotten day altogether and fairly heavy casualties.
Very showery all day.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Tuesday, 27th June, 1916
"X" Day.
2.30 a.m. Paraded Bombers for smoke attack at 7.10 a.m.
Raining hard. Had the worst time I've ever had in the trenches.
Enemy retaliated very heavily indeed and absolutely flattened all trenches.
I had 4 killed and 7 wounded. The R.E.'s had 1 killed and 2 wounded.
I had to go all round the line with a search party afterwards - a risky job as we were shelled all day.
"C" Company had 16 men buried in a sap.
11.30 a.m. We gassed the Hun successfully - ripping wind. He retaliated heavily after a while.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Wednesday, 28th June, 1916
"Y" Day.
I really can't keep count of my doings. I had another smoke attack today - rotten!
I have had an awful time - really the worst four days I've ever spent in the trenches. We had some more casualties today.
I've only had about five or six hours sleep since I came in. The Special Brigade R.E.'s have kept me busy the whole time - besides my own work with my bombers. We were relieved about 12 noon by the 20th Manchesters and went back to billets at Morlandcourt.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Thursday, 29th June, 1916
"Z" Day.
"Z" Day has been postponed - the whole push is cancelled indefinitely.
The Manchesters came out again last night - thus leaving no one in the line. Only the Royal Irish in reserve. Quite safe - the Hun won't attack, you bet!
Awfully busy today equipping my Bombers getting ready to move up - date unknown.
Henceforward officers wear fighting kit and live on rations. Quite like old times again.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Friday, 30th June, 1916
Various inspections in full fighting kit by Major Irwin in the morning and the Colonel at 2.30 p.m. in the afternoon. My Bombers are now all ready for the push -- the long-talked-of Push -- coming at last.
We move off, tomorrow afternoon I think, to take up our battle position. Thus "Z" Day must be tomorrow - the first line goes over the top at dawn evidently.
The Brigade arrived here today. (See note on last page in book)

Note reads:
My doings after Friday June 30th will probably not be fully recorded as I am now packing this diary in my valise to go to stores for if I'm taken prisoner or anything else happens I don't want to lose it and it will [be] sure to get home in my valise.
After the "Push" I will try and enter up a few events of the forthcoming memorable days. ("Z" Day. A day of the second series etc.) This is of course "providing" etc.........
30/6/16. Tomorrow is "Der Tag"!!!

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Here endeth the war diary of H.H. Linzell.

The previous post was the last entry of the war diary. As you will know the following day was the terrible beginning of the Battle of the Somme; four and a half months and many many casualties for only 6 miles of reclaimed land from the enemy.

Harold Harding Linzell, 7th Border Regiment, died 3 July 1916 and is buried in Dantzig Alley British Cemetery, Mametz where he rests in peace.
For more info on Linzell's CWGC page click here.

If anyone has any questions relating to the war diary, i.e., people mentioned, military terminology etc., please direct them to the comments regarding Linzell's war diary topic where I will be happy to try and answer them as best I can ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Second Lieutenant HAROLD HARDING LINZELL M.C.
7th Battalion Border Regiment
Killed in Action : 3rd July 1916, age 21
Buried: DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ
Grave reference : II H 2
Age 21. Son of Frank and Kate Linzell, of 46,
The Grove, Finchley, London; husband of Eva Linzel.
Killed leading the Battalion Bombers into action.
Originally buried alongside Second Lt. A.E. Crompton
in a clearing in Fricourt Wood.

Dantzig Alley Cemetery, Mametz

The Original Graves of Second Lt. A.E. Crompton and Second Lieutenant HAROLD HARDING LINZELL M.C.
In Fricourt Wood
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Previous

Return to War Diaries