RE diary

Discuss war diaries or aything relating to mentions of the Border Regiment from other regimental diaries.

RE diary

Postby plbramham » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:49 pm

As part of my research for Kendal’s WW1 centenary exhibition, I have been given the diary of V.B. Nelson. Road Construction Coy Royal Engineers, (It was passed on via a local charity shop, so I’m assuming he may have been a Cumbrian)
I will research it and I guess it will probably end up with the Kings Own Museum in Lancaster, as his brother died serving with that regiment.
I find the fact he went to is brother’s grave and sketched it ( note the original type of grave marker, not the later CWGC stone one), no camera phones or even Kodak Instamatics back then eh? - very moving.
Also the poem on the page
“Think what believe love means: To live always in the mind of another & to have that other living always in your mind”
The fact he was 4th Bn suggests he was a territorial?.
(I believe that usually 1st and 2nd Bn were regulars, 3rd depot, 4th& 5th territorials, the rest were “Kitchers Army “ volunteers or conscripts.
Here’s the details from CWGC for his brother :
NELSON, R H. Private No: 2522 Died : 09/07/1916 4th Bn King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). Cemetery AGNY MILITARY CEMETERY,
Note he died at the start of the second week of The Somme - they didn't all get killed on the first day!
Any info that anyone can supply for either men would be greatly appreciated!
Paul
Attachments
diary001.jpg
diary002.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: RE diary

Postby plbramham » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks to Mike Deacon, I've found that Victor Braithwaite Nelson was a Grange over Sands, and later, Kendal man. He conversely gives his occupation as being a joiner/builder/ stone mason - anyway his family were builders . He enlisted on 21/5/17 aged 30 years and 4 months, and went to France on 13/6/17. He died in Ulverston during the second quarter of 1968 reported age 81,
Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Re: RE diary

Postby plbramham » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Interesting sketch in the diary of an early lorry - I'm presuming steam driven judging by the front chimney? Paul
Attachments
diary lorry001.jpg
diary lorry001.jpg (176.16 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
plbramham
General
General

Return to War Diaries