War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Discuss war diaries or aything relating to mentions of the Border Regiment from other regimental diaries.

War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:53 pm

After discussion with a couple of forum members, some research about copyright regarding materials written more than 90 years ago (no longer in copyright) and having wanted to do this for some time, I thought it might be worthwhile to include a transcription of Linzell's war diary for those who have not read his war diary entries between 1 January 1916 and 30 June 1916.

Whilst other material in the booklet (written by another author in more recent times) IS in copyright, none of that material will be included here for obvious reasons.

I intend to include one diary entry per post. Some entries are short, sometimes only 5 or 6 words in total while other contain several sentences.

Each entry will start with the date in bold: Saturday, January 1st 1916 etc.

NOTE:
If anyone has any comments or concerns regarding this mini project please add them to the Comments regarding Linzell's war diary topic or start a new topic in the "War Diaries" forum instead. Do Not add comments to his thread as I would like to keep it solely for the purpose of Linzell's words. Thanks.

THE WAR DIARY OF
H.H. Linzell. 7th Border Regt. B.E.F.

In the event of the owner losing this diary or of the owner being "whizz-banged, crimped, bombed, bayonetted or sniped" with fatal results to the said person, please forward (risking 'Base Sensor' of course) to:-

Mrs. F.L. Linzell,
Corner House,
The Grove,
Finchley, London, N.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Saturday, January 1st 1916
Issued clothing etc., to the company all the morning. Several of the men had lost caps etc., as the result of New Year's Eve!
All Officers and Warrant Officers were invited to Headquarters Mess last night. The Regimental Band Played "selections". At 12 o’clock midnight it was "some" band!!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Sunday, January 2nd 1916
Lt. Winn went to Ypres and took four men to locate Horn Cellars near the Sally Port.
Morgan took church parade in the morning. I was Orderly Officer.
Morgan took company to bath in Poperinghe.
Lt. White went down to the base and I took on "Battalion Bombing Officer".
Rained in torrents all the afternoon.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Monday, January 3rd 1916
Took A & C Companies in the morning in bomb throwing and instruction. Colonel stopped us throwing live bombs as wind was very strong carrying pieces over the parade ground and a piece hit the C.O.
In the afternoon took Headquarters Company to the baths in Poperinghe.
Met Girling en route.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Tuesday, January 4th 1916
B & D Companies bombers same as yesterday, but with dummy bombs this time. Battalion Bomb platoon goes into the trenches today. All fur coats and blankets handed in ready for the Battalion move and no packs to be taken to the trenches. We (bombers only) march out of camp at 2.30pm. Draw boots at Brigade Headquarters (34 pairs). Relief complete 7pm. Absolute quiet all the way up. Menin Road quite alright. Took over 4906 grenades from 8th South Staffs (Lt. Birrell Bombing Officer). Night very quiet. My dugout is "Cambridge Road". Feed H.20.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 am

Wednesday, January 5th 1916
8.30am Two Crumps behind the Sherwoods (right of Sunken Road). 8.45am until 10am 22 trench mortars and several whizzbangs all to the right of Sunken Road. No damage. One casualty in H.20 caused by a trench mortar unearthing a corpse, lifting it about 100ft into the air and it fell on a Sgt. Of the South Staffordshires over 200 yards away. "Some" stench. Rest of day quiet. Remainder of our Battalion relieved the South Staffordshires tonight. ‘A’ company in H.20. 'C' company in Cambridge Road. Morgan gone sick. Whiteside acting O.C. company. 10.30pm Capt. Bowe joined the Company from hospital. Gordon and self attached to 'C' for rations etc.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:45 am

Thursday, January 6th 1916
Quiet all day. Captain Bowe and the Company retired to the new sap for a half-hour in the morning. About 3 whizzbangs came over into Sunken Road. 24th Division is relieving the 17th - will be all complete tomorrow night. The 3rd R.B.'s are relieving our Battalion. 3rd R.B.'s Machine Gunners relieving Gordon tonight. Their bombing officer arrives at 9pm with two squads to relieve two squads of my bombers; remainder coming up with the Battalion tomorrow night. 2Lt. Martin (ex-L/Cpl of London Rifle Brigade) came up with their bombers. Had tea at Battalion Headquarters and talked relief over with C.O. as the R.B.'s have no Battalion Bomb Platoon, only Company bombers. Rather awkward!

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 am

Friday, January 7th, 1916
Few whizzbangs in the morning - retire into new sap (19th day of work). Relieved 7.15pm by 3rd Battalion Rifle Brigade. March bombers back to H19B (Ouderdorn Camp) Arrive 9.15pm. I dine with 'C' Company at Manering's (Padre) billet. Crompton sitting in front of the fire looking very forlorn, drying his clothes. He fell into a "crump hole" coming down the railway. The Padre has an excellent meal ready for us and a ripping fire, both of which we are all very glad of, as it was a very cold night and a high wind and drizzling rain. We try to get some rest, as we are marching off again at 3am. Hot meal for the men at 2am. Draw packs and issue haversack rations.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:44 am

Saturday, January 8th, 1916
3.15am Battalion parades en masse. March off 3.30am. I am acting O.C. Headquarters Company. Arrive Poperinghe Station 6.10am, where we entrain and leave at 7.20am. Arrive St. Omer 11.15am - detrain. March off 11.45am for Watten (6 1/2 miles). Arrive Gandspette 3pm where we are billeted. No room in Headquarters for me so am billeted with 'A' Company. Bombers very comfortable in a good barn near Headquarters.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:45 am

Sunday, 9th January, 1916
Rifle inspection and inspection of billets by the C.O. No other duties.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Next

Return to War Diaries