War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Discuss war diaries or aything relating to mentions of the Border Regiment from other regimental diaries.

Re: War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Postby kerchi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:38 am

Saturday, 3rd June, 1916
Reveille 3 a.m. Marched off at 4 a.m. for training ground. Whole Division taking part.
Returned to billets at 4.30 p.m.
Captain Bowe promoted to major to date from 17th March, 1916.
6 p.m. Orderly Room.
Colonel made a C.M.G. in today's Birthday Honours.

Sunday, 4th June, 1916
9.45 a.m. Church Parade.
2 p.m. Regimental Sports in the Transport Field. Colonel received a C.M.G. in the Birthday Honours. Wood won the potato race. Neild second in the greasy pole.
Jackson, Billington and Webb second in the four-legged race.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:44 am

Monday, 5th June, 1916
Reveille 4.30 a.m.
Parade 6.30 a.m. and marched to the Copse in Q.14.C, and were inspected by the G.O.C. 17th Division (Major-General T.D. Pilcher). Returned to billets at 1 p.m.
4.30 p.m. Boxing and wresting matches on the Sports Field (Transport Field).
Colonel put his ribbon up tonight!!! Cheers!

Tuesday, 6th June, 1916
6.30 a.m. Parade for Brigade scheme. Poured in torrents about 8 a.m. just as the Battalion had taken up position and scheme declared a wash-out so returned to billets very wet and cheerful.
11 a.m. Lecture to officers and "spittoon" sergeants by the Colonel on open warfare.
2 p.m. Orderly Room.
2.15 p.m. Attended Swan's class to officers on M.G.'s (the Lewis gun).
Received a nasty "brick" tonight: Wallace the M.O. is leaving us.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:51 am

Wednesday, 7th June, 1916,
Captain Wallace the M.O. is leaving us at 9 a.m. today for duty at No. 15 C.C.S. Hazebrouck.
6.30 a.m. Paraded for Brigade scheme, yesterday's programme, but was again washed out owing to rain. Returned to billets at 8.30 a.m. Wet through again.
Appalling news in the French papers today. Lord Kitchener has gone down in the cruiser Hampshire which struck a mine west of the Orkney Isles. He was on his way to Russia.
Leave has now been reduced to seven days.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:55 am

Thursday, 8th June, 1916
Took two squads of Company Bombers form each Company from 7.30 a.m. till 4 p.m. today. "Live" and dummy throwing.
Rifle grenades and P. grenades - fumite bomb. The Battalion Bombers joined their Companies and went to the training ground with the Battalion.
The Colonel went on seven days leave this morning. All dismounted officers now wear full equipment - glasses, revolver, maps, etc., and carry rifles also.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:57 am

Friday, 9th June, 1916
7.30 a.m. Went out and did the Brigade scheme which we missed twice owing to rain. (Attacked the Cormette Ridge).
Returned to Billets at 2 p.m.
Orderly Room 6 p.m.
I went to St. Omer in the afternoon. Arrived home at 11 p.m.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:01 am

Saturday, 10th June, 1916
7 a.m. Physical drill.
Morning devoted to cleaning billets and kit ready for the C.O.'s (Major Irwin) inspection. Used up the remainder of the P. grenades and fumite bombs etc.
2.30 p.m. C.O.'s inspection. Full marching order. Elson and I had another struggle with my kit to reduce it to 35lb. We move to Amiens on Monday morning early, for the "push". The Divisional artillery is going tonight.
Walmsley rejoined from England today.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:06 am

Sunday, 11th June, 1916
9.30 a.m. Church Parade in the Transport Field under Major Irwin.
Officers' kits handed in at 11 a.m. C.O. inspected billets at 2 p.m. - but forgot to see the Bombers and Transport (this has happened once before).
Had the Curé and the Vicar in after dinner pour dire au revoir.
Bombers and Snipers to "D" Company for the march and rations.
Paraded 11.30 p.m. Marched off 12 midnight for Audruick where we entrained for Amiens.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Monday, 12th June, 1916
3.45 a.m. Arrived Audruick Station (7 miles). Quite a good march and not many "drunks". Men had tea on arrival and entrained at 4.15 a.m. Train left at 4.39 a.m. - went via Boulogne and Abbeville. Arrived Amiens 1.15 p.m. where we detrained and marched off to Cordonette (6 miles) via Allonville where we were to billet. Arrived in Billets at 4.45 p.m. They are almost the worst we've had. Filthy dirty barns, leaky and very crowded. There is no Orderly Room and H.Q.'s Mess is an awfully dirty ramshackle old empty cottage with no chairs or table. Rusack, Mckeand, Swan and I are billeted together in a large room at a small farmhouse. We are about the most comfortable I think.
Rained hard all day.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Tuesday, 13th June, 1916
10 a.m. Orderly Room.
11.30 a.m. Went to a memorial service to Lord Kitchener but were stopped on the way there by Staff Captain and told to return to billets and prepare to move off in one hour.
Later - We moved off at 5 p.m. to Buire (13 miles) to be attached to the 21st Division for working parties, to dig assembly trenches probably. We are returning here in a week probably. Everyone is relieved to know that we are not going up to the trenches as first reported. Raining hard today and beastly cold. Arrived at our destination at 9.30 p.m. - but there were no billets for us owing to a mess-up by the Division. Turned into Ribemont and had to fix up for ourselves, which we did after a lot of trouble, in the drizzling rain.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Wednesday, 14th June, 1916
Absolutely rotten billets. Cardonette was a "king" to this. Fourteen of us are crowded together in one small room on the floor. Took me two hours to dress this morning. There are no places to mess at all. Headquarters are in a filthy estaminet. The landlady is a real devil. We got breakfast after a lot of trouble. Poor old "D" Company went on a working party at 8 a.m. this morning, but returned 9.30 a.m. as they couldn't find the rendezvous at Mericourt. They went again at 1.30 p.m. "A" and "B" Companies which are billeted in Buire are doing working parties today (road mending). Sgt. Sharkey and twenty other Bombers left for a permanent fatigue at 1.30 p.m. at the sugar factory to be billeted and rationed there. Nothing else to report. Have done absolutely nothing today. A week here will drive me mad.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to War Diaries