War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Discuss war diaries or aything relating to mentions of the Border Regiment from other regimental diaries.

Re: War Diary of H.H. Linzell, 7th Border Regiment

Postby kerchi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 am

Thursday, 15th June, 1916
Everyone is in a fearful muddle this morning. The Daylight Saving Bill was sprung on us at 11 p.m. last night and all the clocks advanced one hour. The trouble is that all the French clocks have been altered but Orderly Room time has not changed yet. (It is now 9.30 a.m. ? 8.30 a.m.)
We've got bayonet drill at 9 a.m. and I'm wondering if I'm late for parade or not.
Parade was a wash-out as I only have nine Bombers left here at Ribemont.
The C.O. inspected billets at 2 p.m. and I gave my fellows an hour's physical drill, after which they went to Divisional Baths. The Colonel returned from leave this evening. Changed my billet to "C" Company.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Friday, 16th June, 1916
800 men of the Battalion on working parties today.
Belchamber is on fatigue today but I've got nothing yet.
Nothing turned up all day.
Dined with "C" Company in the evening. Major Bowe came over from Buire.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:15 pm

Saturday, 17th June, 1916
8.30 a.m. Orderly Room.
C.O. and Company Commanders went up the line to look at the enemy's trenches.
4 p.m. Took working party of fifty men to Heilly siding to unload gas cylinders (one mile from here). I am attached to "D" Company for fatigues.
Not his else to report.

Sunday, 18th June, 1916
3 p.m. Went over to Morlandcourt to attend a lecture by Lt. Col. Collins (G.S. 17th Division). We are moving into canvas at Heilly tomorrow (4km from here).

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:17 pm

Monday, 19th June, 1916
8.30 a.m. Orderly Room.
Officers' kits to be ready at 11 a.m. My servant has gone to the trenches today on fatigues.
3.30 p.m. Marched off by Companies. Headquarters leading.
Arrived in new camp about 4.45 p.m. Thirteen men in a tent and four officers in one tent. Erected a marquee for Headquarters Mess. Very cold night and inclined to rain.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:59 am

Tuesday, 20th June, 1916
6.30 - 7.15 a.m. Platoon drill.
8.30 a.m. Orderly Room.
9 - 10 a.m. Physical drill and bayonet fighting. Sgt. Sharkey carried on for the rest of the morning.
11 a.m. I had an appointment with Captain McKenzie (7th Divisional Bombing Officer) and the Special Brigade R.E.'s re "smoke attack" in the coming operation.
3 p.m. C.O. inspected the camp.
3.30 p.m. Inspected gas helmets and goggles.
Went and saw White at 50th Brigade Headquarters.
7.15 p.m. Regimental dinner at the "cafe" in Heilly.
A "farewell"!

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:01 am

Wednesday, 21st June, 1916
6.30 - 7.15 a.m. Platoon Drill.
8.20 a.m. Orderly Room.
Physical drill till 10.30 a.m.
11 a.m. Gas expert inspected all gas helmets in the Battalion.
2 - 4 p.m. Bombers practiced throwing - dummies.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:24 am

Thursday, 22nd June, 1916
6.30 - 7.15 a.m. Platoon Drill.
8.30 a.m. Orderly Room.
Went up to the trenches with the Colonel and Company Commanders to look round as we relieve the East Yorks and Dorsets tomorrow afternoon. Returned to camp at 4.30 p.m. Issued bomb buckets and waistcoats to the Battalion Bombers and handed in rifles etc.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:29 am

Friday, 23rd June, 1916
"T" Day.
Reveille 4 a.m.
Kits handed in by 6 a.m.
6.30 a.m. Battalion paraded.
7.30 a.m. Headquarters marched off in rear. Proceeded via Ribemount - Treux - Morlandcourt where we stopped for dinner en route. I proceeded on bicycle in advance to keep appointment with Jones and R.E. officer and went all round the line with him to see posts and stores. Battalion arrived about 3 p.m.
Bombers in Naple redoubt. I mess with "C" Company in there. Poured with rain in the afternoon. Enemy shelled the redoubt and front line about 9 p.m.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Saturday, 24th June, 1916
"U" Day.
Did not get to bed until 2 a.m. this morning.
7 a.m. Breakfast.
11 a.m. Conveyed my smoke bombs up to the forward dumps with the help of a fatigue party of 100 Manchesters and 90 Royal Irish. Have now got everything "cut and dried" ready for the "dirty work" on "W" Day.
7 a.m. Received notice of "Roger" - withdrew half the garrison from the front line.
10 a.m. Supposed to "Roger" but conditions were unfavourable. We bombarded the enemy's trenches freely. Certain amount of retaliation.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Sunday, 25th June, 1916
"V" Day.
We Shelled and trench mortared heavily all day. They replied with "crumps" and canisters and buried three of our T.M. guns and blew in a bomb store. I put over some rifle grenades in the afternoon. We bombarded between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. for one hour, cutting wire etc. and put over 500 T.M.'s per gun during the day. I detailed my 108 men for my "stunt" tomorrow.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to War Diaries