2nd Battalion War Diary Transcribing Project

Discuss war diaries or aything relating to mentions of the Border Regiment from other regimental diaries.

2nd Battalion War Diary Transcribing Project

Postby Fozzie » Fri May 01, 2009 10:17 pm

I am currently transcribing the 2nds War Diaries for the Wiki, and in part for the forum  ;DI haven't started in date order, but as I know a few of you are very interested in the July 1916 at The Somme, and the placements of The Borders during that month, I decided to start with that.I have completed that month and it is now in the '2nd's' section on the forum.....I will post here when other months are completed.Fozzie  :)
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Re: 2nd Battalion War Diary Transcribing Project

Postby Fozzie » Sat May 02, 2009 9:49 pm

August 1916 now uploaded in the 2nds Section.A very quiet month for them, after the rigours of July.I have just had a quick look at September 1916........... :o3 volumes long........  :o  :o ........ I may be gone sometime!Fozzie
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Mon May 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Fozzie,I have now added July 1916 to the wiki; you can see it here:[url=http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:2nd_battalion:war_diary:july_1916]http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:2nd_battalion:war_diary:july_1916[/url]It took me longer to add the syntax than I originally thought but the main problem was spacing because if there are more than 2 spaces within a table, it doesn't render properly and whole chunks become missing and the table doesn't build properly. Nothing can be done about this as this always happens when copying and pasting from a word document. You will notice that I have included, much like the actual war diary, the 'Place', 'Date', 'Hour' columns; did they write anything in either the place or hour columns for any date?I think everything else is ok.

I also include a War Diary Index which can be seen here:[url=http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:2nd_battalion#war_diary_index]http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=bor ... iary_index[/url]There is a column titled 'Country or Region'. In there I usally include, for example, FRANCE or BELGIUM etc. Were all the places listed in the diary for July 1916 in France?

It has a very detailed account on two days, I'm not surprised it took a while to transcribe  :oChris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Fozzie » Mon May 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Chris,Sorry about the spacing problem :(No, the diary is transcribed exactly in the format as written..Nothing added or omitted..apart from punctuation.....Yes it is all in France, the Battle of the Somme was in full swing with the 2nds in the thick of it....The only times mentioned in July 1916 were within the diary itself.....the only data that was in a margin were the datesJohn (Fearn) kindly uploaded a map of that area of that battle in another thread a while back........ I will down load it to my computer and colour in the area for July 1916, and repost it as another topic in the 2nds section.As it was not included with the Diary, I don't think it appropriate to upload it into the 2nds War Diary section?I have also uploaded August 1916 to the 2nds section, (and also sent you a copy of the transcription....very quiet and short) within the same topic.....I am not sure if it is 'lost' there... ??? What do you think? September is even more detailed......we have 3 volumes,
1- being the diary,
2- the Orders/Intelligence
3-a running commentary The last 2 are barely legible, and some words 'lost' being masked by the page footers when scanned......I can see that taking a while........
It is also very emotional to read....Fozzie
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Fozzie » Mon May 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Chris, you have done a sterling job with the 2nds Diary on the Wiki  8)There is no country marked on the diary front page, but yes it is France, please can you insert it into the Wiki?Fozzie
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Mon May 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Fozzie,That's unusual not to have anything written in the 'Place' column; even if a location is mentioned once it is usually followed by " or ditto. Not all diaries use the 'time' column, this I have noticed with the 1st and 11th diaries.I will be adding August 1916 next to the wiki; being quite short it should only take about 5 minutes or so.Regarding September I think you should include as much as you can to retain as much originality as possible. Some of the 1st Battalion diary months were long and came in several parts including reports and maps; the below diaries give an example of these:[url=http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:1st_battalion:war_diary:april_1915]http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:1st_battalion:war_diary:april_1915[/url][url=http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:1st_battalion:war_diary:june_1915]http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:1st_battalion:war_diary:june_1915[/url][url=http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:1st_battalion:war_diary:september_1916]http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:1st_battalion:war_diary:september_1916[/url]Obviously, anything that is too difficult to read has to be omitted but this can't be helped, that is just the way it is. I am thankful that these have survived at all giving us the unique opportunity to read about their doings, detailed or not.The reason why I asked about the country or region is that I have noticed that units close to the France/Belgium border would cross it frequently as if there were no boundaries at all. One day they would be in France and the next they would march across the border for a couple of days and then march back. Regarding the war diary index for each battalion, I am including place names alphabetically to give the reader an idea of where they were, separating these by country. It helps to know which place is in each country; most times this is really obvious but other times I have to google it to make sure I am adding to he right country.I will add 'France' to the 2nd's July diary index.If you're happy with the results of the diary in the wiki I will press on  :)Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Fozzie » Mon May 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi Chris, No name of Country at all, you have a copy of the original diary sent in pdf? I am sure I sent it?It is definitely France, I have been there ....unknowingly at the time, and I did 'google' the place names to make sure....;) and no where near Belgium ....  :DIf any other diaries do not have the country stated, I will put it in and asterisk it....  ;DFozzie :D
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Fozzie » Mon May 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Hmmm I see what you mean....July was in 2 books, in future I will seperate them..... (I did ask..;) )September's actual diary is in 1 book IIRC, its just that there are 2 other officers who have written their accounts, be it 'orders' or a narrative......Ah well must sort the printer out!  :(

Fozzie
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Mon May 04, 2009 9:21 pm

I have the pdf copy of July 1916 you sent on the external hard drive attached to the other computer.Thanks re country info, this will help when adding the details to the 2nd's war diary index.The diaries can be a little confusing :-\ when there are two accounts of the same time frame overlapping each other so good luck with that  ;)Chris

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Fozzie » Mon May 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks muchly Chris..i will need all of the luck in the world methinks....I have just been looking at Johns (Fearn) map, (Fricourt July 1916) and searching for one that maybe extended further......but no luck...so.....I will do some work on a copy of Johns just to show the 2nds advance in the trenches for July 1916........

Fozzie  ;D
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Next

Return to War Diaries