2nd Battalion War Diary Transcribing Project

Discuss war diaries or aything relating to mentions of the Border Regiment from other regimental diaries.

Re: 2nd Battalion War Diary Transcribing Project

Postby kerchi » Mon May 04, 2009 9:43 pm

That will be good to see their movements placed on the map.Just added August 1916 to the wiki here:[url=http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:2nd_battalion:war_diary:august_1916]http://www.kerchi.co.uk/doku.php?id=border_regiment:world_war_one:2nd_battalion:war_diary:august_1916[/url]Definitely short and sweet!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Fozzie » Mon May 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Wiki Looking good Chris!  8)

Yes August was very short.....a good rest after July and gaining strength for what was to come in September.....Like July's diary, no country was stated..... so as July was at Fricourt, which is north east of Amiens..... in August they moved to Breilly which is north, north west of Amiens, actually on the banks of the River Somme. So the country for August 1916 is definitely France.Fozzie  :)
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Mon May 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I totally agree; a much deserved rest was needed, something that you might find repeats itself as you transcribe more months.

I didn't mean if a country is mentioned in the diary because they didn't mention countries very often unless someone was going home to Blighty! I just meant keep an eye on the places and let me know which country each place is in. The battalion could have been to 10 different places and out of those 10, 9 could have been in France and one could have been in Belgium. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Looking forward to the next one...but all in good time  ;)

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Fozzie » Mon May 04, 2009 11:30 pm

Oh no this has got even more confusing  ???On reading the 3rd volume for September 1916......I finally find a date right at the bottom and its for September 1915::)The diary 'proper' stops mid-sentence.....although it had covered everything I think, it stopped whilst writing about ranks joining the battalion. **edit to add found the ending....*  ;)It seems as though August being the 2nds 'rest'..... For September, they were back to Fricourt......Fozzie
Fozzie
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to War Diaries