My Granda Albert Deacon 3605477 was 2 years Border reg

Topics about the Regiment during the Second World War.

My Granda Albert Deacon 3605477 was 2 years Border reg

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Looking again at my granda Alberts war records i thought i would tell you for the first 2 years of grandas enlistment he was in the 8th border regiment at Carlisle he joined up in 17/10/1940 Albert was from Monkseaton Northumberland,then by 4/11/1942 he was moved to the royal engineers 80 assault sqaudron where he became an AVRE Churchill tank driver and took part in the d-day landings and was one of the first tanks to land on Juno beach he survived the war and sadly passed away in 2009.
rest in peace Albert
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: My Granda Albert Deacon 3605477 was 2 years Border reg

Postby kerchi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi Mike,

Can you remember any other stories about your granddad during his time in the 8th Battalion. I wonder how he found life as Borderman for those two years before being transferred. Do you have a photo or photos of this time?

I'm interested in his tank driving days too as my granddad, though not in the Border Regiment, was a Desert Rat of the 1st RTR. I have often wanted to talk about him on this forum but he never served in the Border Regiment, only my great granddad John Bardgett.

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby mrdeacon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Chris,

Just spotted this sorry for not replying unfortunately i have nothing as much on granda in the Border Regiment sorry i have his records of when he was in the Border reg. which i will post later unfortunately not much of interest just really training and going AWL. Have more on his time in the RE i have his diaries of the regiments he was posted to from D-Day to when he left the army.

Regards Mike
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Mike,

Will look forward to anything you add about your granddad; I find people's stories or details from documents interesting, shedding light about them and what they were like as soldiers and individuals.

I was thinking of setting up a separate board so that if people were interested in talking about their other relatives who weren't in the Border Regiment, they could do so there.

Do you think this is a good idea and worth following through?

Chris
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby mrdeacon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi Chris can't see why not as you said your granda wasn't in the Border regiment and it is always good to read war story's i think anyway.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mrdeacon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Here are my granda's war records firstly i have to appologise on the condition of the pages as these are what i was sent i really need to send them back to see if i can get some better ones, i had to try and tinker about with them to make them better for everyone to read,the original ones i do have are really bad so sorry guys.
Attachments
Albert's 2nd page war diaries.jpg
Albert's 1st page war diaries.jpg
Albert's 3rd page war diaries.jpg
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby IanT » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Mike,
the pages are quite readable especially as they can be zoomed in.
May I ask where you got the document from? I have my own father's personel record that came from the MOD in Glasgow but there is very little in there for the war years.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 am

mrdeacon wrote:Here are my granda's war records firstly i have to appologise on the condition of the pages as these are what i was sent i really need to send them back to see if i can get some better ones, i had to try and tinker about with them to make them better for everyone to read,the original ones i do have are really bad so sorry guys.

Hi Mike, just noticed this post. These images, for me, are ok to read; they are quite clear when zoomed in as Ian says, similar in many respects to my granddad's records. Did you try cleaning them up a little in photoshop (elements) or something of that ilk?

I will try and get a new board set up shortly so any new discussions can be included there.

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:03 pm

IanT wrote:Mike,
the pages are quite readable especially as they can be zoomed in.
May I ask where you got the document from? I have my own father's personel record that came from the MOD in Glasgow but there is very little in there for the war years.
Ian

Hi Ian do you mean granda's war records ? if you are they came from Glasgow MOD just like you got your granda's records i think i also got his signing on papers and other stuff giving details granda's time in the war.
Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:06 pm

kerchi wrote:
mrdeacon wrote:Here are my granda's war records firstly i have to appologise on the condition of the pages as these are what i was sent i really need to send them back to see if i can get some better ones, i had to try and tinker about with them to make them better for everyone to read,the original ones i do have are really bad so sorry guys.

Hi Mike, just noticed this post. These images, for me, are ok to read; they are quite clear when zoomed in as Ian says, similar in many respects to my granddad's records. Did you try cleaning them up a little in photoshop (elements) or something of that ilk?

I will try and get a new board set up shortly so any new discussions can be included there.

Chris

Hi Chris yes i did a bit of tinkering with photoshop because like i said my originals are terrible.
Thanks Chris for sorting my password out cheers.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to World War Two