3606646 pte Gilbert Anderson

Topics about the Regiment during the Second World War.

3606646 pte Gilbert Anderson

Postby TanjaAnderson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Good afternoon everybody,

I started this threat because I would like to find more information about my uncle Gilbert, who had served with the 70th battalion Border Regiment.
Gilbert was born on 14 july 1923.
His parents are Elisabeth and Thomas Anderson.
Gilbert was killed in action on 25 september 1944 during the battle of Arnhem. He was a member of the 11th battalion parachute regiment at that time. He jumped on the second day. 18 september 1944. He is buried in a unknown grave at Warcemetery Oosterbeek.

The information I have is based on documents like Service Record, leave card, personal letters of my uncle and the book: When Dragons Flew.

Gilbert signed in on 22-07-1941. He was just 18 years old at that time.
He went on class W(T) on 22-07-1941
He started at the 70th battalion Border Regiment and went to ITC Carlisle on 2-8-1941.
Gilbert was transferred to the 5th battalion east Lancs. regiment on 16-09-1942.

It is possible that he volunteered in 1942 when the 1st battalion Border Regiment became a glider regiment. The book: When Dragons Flew – pag 32 and 33.
In January 1942 Captain Miller had interviewed 110 volunteers of various 70th battalions who had volunteerd for airborne duties. LT Col Brown selected about 50 volunteers of the 70th battalion Border Regiment on 28-30 march 1942. In april 75 volunteers (48 70th battalion Border Regiment and 2 of 41 ITC) joined the 1st battalion Border Regiment.

The book: When Dragons Flew commemorated Gilbert as a former member of the 1st Border Regiment.

I do have reasons ( not based on facts) that Gilbert had his basic trainng in a camp on the border of the city Houghton. The camp was called Hadrian’s Camp (310th Infrantry Training Camp).

Further in his personal letters I found the following information:
- 18-01-1942- 70th Batt Border Regt, E Coy, 4e platoon (Warender Hotel, 19 York Road, North Berwick Scotland);
- 05-02-1942 - 70th Batt Border Regt, E Coy 4e platoon (60 OJV RAF Station, East Fortune, East Lothian Scotland);
I have understood that the 70th battalion Border Regiment was a young soldiers battalion. Almost every regiment would have a battalion like this. Young man under the 19 years old and recruits with problems (borstals, remand homes and jail). See http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/ron_graydon.htm
What I would like to find information about is:
- Is there more known about the 70th battalion Border Regiment?
- Did my uncle have a comrade/buddy? Who was he and what happend to him?
- Does somebody has photo’s of my uncle of a groupphoto of this battalion or the 1st battalion after januari 1942?
- Other information that could be intressting.

I also would like to help other members of this forum with information I migh have in my archive.
Greetings
Tanja

PS: I know that there is already a discussion going on in my introduction threat and photo threat about the existing of this battalion. It would be very intressting to find more about this battalion.
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Re: 3606646 pte Gilbert Anderson

Postby kerchi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:08 pm

TanjaAnderson wrote:What I would like to find information about is:
- Is there more known about the 70th battalion Border Regiment?
- Did my uncle have a comrade/buddy? Who was he and what happend to him?
- Does somebody has photo’s of my uncle of a groupphoto of this battalion or the 1st battalion after januari 1942?
- Other information that could be intressting.

I also would like to help other members of this forum with information I migh have in my archive.

You will most likely have to contact the Border Regiment Museum, which you are most likely aware of already but here is the address anyway: http://kingsownbordermuseum.btck.co.uk/MakinganEnquiry/WorldWarTwoEnquiry

I am almost certain he would have had a close friend or comrade (or several) and it is possible there could be more information about him and his actions (including a photo - but there is no guarantee of this so don't get your hopes up) and other interesting details about the battalion.

Is it the 70th Battalion Border Regiment or the 1st Battalion Border Regiment you'd like more info about?

I would also suggest making a request in the requests forum regarding a single or group photo of Gilbert just in case other members or researchers using google pick up the message that may have a copy of a photo themselves and are willing to share it.

I noticed his parents were from (or lived) in Blackpool. I lived there for 16 years, do you know whereabouts they lived?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Hallo Chris,

Thank you for adress of the Kings own Border Museum. I have sended a e-mail yesterday to aske for more information.

I would like to have more information about both battalions. Although de Service Record only talks about the 70th. I have noticed that the Sercive Record is not complete. Looks like somebody had forgotten to put information in it.

I also enjoy www.ww2talk.com. They adviced me this forum as well.

My grandparents lived first at 25 Ashstreet and later on 24 Marsden Road. Gilbert and my Dad are both born in Mossley and moved to Blackpool with there parents. I have been many times to Blackpool as a child. I have been to Palatine Highschool for a couple a days with a frend.

Greetings

Tanja
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 pm

I hope you hear from the museum soon, be patient though as they do receive a lot of enquiries. If you haven't heard anything within a two to three weeks I would recommend contacting them again.

My grandfather's service records appear to have some blanks where it looks like they didn't record certain aspects of his military career. This is normal so don't feel that your records are incorrect or incomplete.

Ash street isn't that far from where I used to live on Squires Gate lane and I am familiar with Palatine School (Community College); haven't lived there for over ten years though so I guess a few things have probably changed since then.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Hallo,

Well thank you. I have received some nice information of the Cumbria's Military Museum.

I have placed the attachmend on my other threat 'new member'.

Well I was a young child when I went to Blackpool. I remember the plesure beach and the tower. The swimmingpool, St Annes Road, Watson Park, the trainstation, the zoo, the candystore on Marsden Road, the illumination, the trams.

Greetings

Tanja
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:46 pm

TanjaAnderson wrote:Well I was a young child when I went to Blackpool. I remember the plesure beach and the tower. The swimmingpool, St Annes Road, Watson Park, the trainstation, the zoo, the candystore on Marsden Road, the illumination, the trams.

Sorry for going 'off-topic' here but I am curious only because I lived in Blackpool for 16 years.

Things would have changed a bit since then. There was a big fire in the Fun House at the Pleasure Beach, which was totally destroyed, the train station still looks dull, I never actually went to the zoo and the illuminations are always impressive as are the trams when lit up. The swimming pool you mention, which one? The Sandcastle Waterpark next to the Pleasure Beach is still there, there was one on the sea front on the North Shore but that was knocked down. I used to work in the Pembroke Hotel next to it.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby mrdeacon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 pm

Hello Tanja i have just relised my granda was at Carlisle probably the same time has your Uncle. Granda joined the 8th Bn Borders in 1940 till 1942 when he transfered to the Royal Engineers but sadly i don't have anything on his time in the Border's apart from his war records which don't say much apart from going AWL and training.
Here is the link to my granda's records viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1585

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby TanjaAnderson » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Hallo Mike,

You have a realy good readable Service Record. The off my uncle is very summier and the handwriting is realy bad.

I also like the photo's of your Granddad are realy nice. You did a good job on them.

Further I saw the medals. Last night I had a look at the medals of my uncle at my fathers house. My uncles medals are the same. I want to make photo's of them.

My uncle was at Carlisle at the time. We think he stayed at Hadrian Camp the first period.

Greetings

Tanja
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:18 pm

kerchi wrote:
TanjaAnderson wrote:Well I was a young child when I went to Blackpool. I remember the plesure beach and the tower. The swimmingpool, St Annes Road, Watson Park, the trainstation, the zoo, the candystore on Marsden Road, the illumination, the trams.

Sorry for going 'off-topic' here but I am curious only because I lived in Blackpool for 16 years.

Things would have changed a bit since then. There was a big fire in the Fun House at the Pleasure Beach, which was totally destroyed, the train station still looks dull, I never actually went to the zoo and the illuminations are always impressive as are the trams when lit up. The swimming pool you mention, which one? The Sandcastle Waterpark next to the Pleasure Beach is still there, there was one on the sea front on the North Shore but that was knocked down. I used to work in the Pembroke Hotel next to it.

The swimming pool with the high divingplatforms. There were windows under the waterlevel so instructors could see what your swimmingactions were under water. I think it was the one on the sea front on the North Shore. I also remember the donkeys on the beach.

Greetings

Tanja
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:28 am

Hallo Everybody,

It has been a while since I last reported anything about my uncle pte Gilbert Anderson.
But sometimes little wonders happens.

A couple of weeks ago we found that we have family living in New Zealand.
A cousin of the same age as my uncle. She told us that she had spoken to Gilbert when he visit their house in the UK in 1944.
She brought him to the bus and then he gave her his cap bagdes of the Border Regiment and the East Lanc's Regiment.
She might have been the last familymember who have seen him alive. Because a couple of days late he was dropped at Arnhem.

She was so kind to give these special things to my Dad.

The picture is not to good. But this is very special to us.

Greetings

Tanja
Attachments
2014-11-14 19.56.30.jpg
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Next

Return to World War Two