3606646 pte Gilbert Anderson

Topics about the Regiment during the Second World War.

Re: 3606646 pte Gilbert Anderson

Postby plbramham » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:54 am

Hi,
A (slightly belated) welcome to the forum!
Re: 70th Bn (Young Soldiers) battalion. You actually seem to have managed to gathered a heck of a lot of information already!
However, there is a book ( quite rare – it always described for sale as “first edition” - that is because there only was ever one edition!)
“The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-45” by Philip J. Shears, published 1948 by Nisbet & Co. London..
This has three pages devoted to 70th battalion.
I think there a couple of copies available on e-bay at present ( but they do not turn up very often). Prices seem to vary between £20- £50 ( I got an “ex-library” copy I think for about £15, bit tatty, but intact)
As it is still “in copyright” I cannot paste the pages onto the site, but copyright does allow extracts to be transcribed up to a certain length. The concluding paragraph, which I think will be of interest you reads:
“Approximately two hundred of these young soldiers were specially selected for transfer the 1st Battalion The Border Regiment in the 1st Airborne Division, and they took part in the epic airborne landings at Arnhem”.
As I have stated on previous posts, I always like to see postings re: WW2. Everyone seems obsessed with the centenary of WW1 last year, forgetting that it was also the 75th anniversary of the start of WW2! Ah yes, this year is the 70th anniversary of the END of WW2!
Hope this helps, and good luck if you try to obtain a copy of the book,
Regards, Paul

P.S. There is a vague reference to a 70th Bn at the end of this previous posting I made re: a WW2 history booklet published in 1945. Unfortunately it states that, owing to paper shortage, the 70th Bn would be covered in a future issue - which sadly I do not have.
Click on this link: download/file.php?id=3371&mode=view
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:46 am

P.S you have not already done so, just do a search for "Arnhem" in the search bar at the top of the index page. There are over 50 entries, you might find something of interest?
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby TanjaAnderson » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Hallo Paul,

Thank you for the information. A frend was so kind to me, he gave me a copy of the pages from the book 'The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-45” by Philip J. Shears, published 1948 by Nisbet & Co. London'. It is very interesting to read.

Bit by bit I find information about my uncle. And it is very joyfull to meet a lot of people who are willing to help.

And 'Yes' I have tried to search for "Arnhem". But thank you for your advise.

Greetings
Tanja
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 am

TanjaAnderson wrote:A couple of weeks ago we found that we have family living in New Zealand.
A cousin of the same age as my uncle. She told us that she had spoken to Gilbert when he visit their house in the UK in 1944.
She brought him to the bus and then he gave her his cap bagdes of the Border Regiment and the East Lanc's Regiment......She was so kind to give these special things to my Dad.

This is great news Tanja, you must be thrilled to have met another family member who met your uncle Gilbert 70 years ago!! And to be given the cap badges as well must make all your research worthwhile :-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Yes, it makes the research worthwhile.
We were very suprised by this special gift.
Our cousin made the poppy (see the photo) as well.
She asked us to put it on my uncle his grave.

A pity that we do not have a official grave.
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to World War Two