Sgt J.W.Thompson

Topics about the Regiment during the Second World War.

Sgt J.W.Thompson

Postby Pladhams » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm

My grandfather, Sgt Joseph Watson Thompson joined the Border Regiment in May 1939, eventually serving with the 4th Battalion in France, North Africa and Burma. Ive found out some info on the various events he was involved with, but was wondering if there was anyone who could shed more info?
I have visited the Border Regiments Museum at Carlisle but they haven't much, about to send off for his forces war record.
Enclosed is the only photo we have of him, taken in India in about 1944/45
Better quality photo uploaded!
Attachments
ladhams 2 10.jpg
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Sgt J.W.Thompson

Postby plbramham » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello,
Always pleased to welcome someone to the forum who has an interest in WW2.
As you have found out about his actions I presume you will have spotted the other postings for 4th Bn on the Forum at Incheville in 1940 etc, but just in case you’ve missed them try these links:
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=2253
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1820
There are several postings by "ngledcarlton123" - for P.J. Bell of 4th Bn from Windermere who became a prisoner of war
Possibly the best book about the Regiment in WW2 is sadly out of print, but copies do sometimes crop up secondhand. See this link:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2453&p=6447&hilit=shears#p6447
There is also this regimental account (which I was lent to me by the son of the commander of D Company 4th Border at Incheville, Major Hopkinson)
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1827 & viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1828 ( (The pages for the account of 4th Bn straddle the two postings)
Hope this is of some help. I agree that not so much seems available about the Second World War- it is relatively easy to find out about WW1, especially with the centenary coming up, everyone seems to have forgotten that it is also the 75th anniversary of WW2 next year too.
Regards Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby Pladhams » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:58 am

More info has come to light recently regarding my late grandfather: Joe as he was known to friends was born in the northeast, but had come across to westmorland to work in the 1930's, having formerly been a coal miner. He and a number of other Kirkby Stephen "lads" all joined up at Carlisle on the same day.
Whilst in Burma on the second chindit expedition, having a certain fondness for horses, he apparently spent time looking after the mules used to carry supplies through the jungle, until he came down with Malaria and Black water fever. Before returning to the UK he had to spend sometime in Australia recovering, and finally left the army in December 1945.
Certain tales are told in the family of his exploits, and whether true or not make interesting entertainment:
He and some others stealing bottles of whisky from the officers mess, burying them, and digging them up when returning from a patrol.
In the Sgt's mess, drunk, doing a fan dance on a table with two empty beer bottles.....
As i said, facinating stuff but true or not, dunno!
His brother in law had been at Dunkirk with the RA, and i do know whenever he used to go on about it my grandad gave him evil looks, perhaps remembering Incheville etc?
He was asked to stay on in the army in 45, as a regular, but his comments at the time im afraid are un-printable!
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Postby RodShack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Hello

Another miner...................just done some research into my wife's Grandad who was 1st Batt - also a miner before the war, from the NW!

I have just got my docs back from the records office and they shed quite a bit of light on things. I'd recommend waiting for the records office.
Cheers

Rod
RodShack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Pladhams » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Im awaiting my mother sorting them out,however enclosed is my tribute to him, France 1940.
Attachments
2013-08-29 13.58.35.jpg
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Pladhams » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Dont suppose anyone knows what colour the backing piece is on the side of his slouch hat, my info points me towards red but black has also been suggested!
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Return to World War Two