OR's FS caps

Topics about the Regiment during the Second World War.

OR's FS caps

Postby Pladhams » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 am

Bit of an odd question but here goes, during WW2 OR's could buy a private purchase Field Service cap in they're regimental colours, what colour were the Border Regiment ones as i have yet to see one!
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Re: OR's FS caps

Postby plbramham » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:44 am

Pretty sure standard dress was khaki (I'm very sure I have not spelt that correctly! eh? ) Don't confuse with the "dress uniforms" which I think were dark blue or black? ( hard to tell on black and white photos!) - check with museum maybe?
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:49 pm

plbramham wrote:Pretty sure standard dress was khaki (I'm very sure I have not spelt that correctly! eh? )

Yes, you did ;-)

I thought they were just Khaki-coloured as well.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Pladhams » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:55 pm

officers and OR's could purchase, privately, FS caps in theyre regimental colours:
http://www.freewebs.com/fieldservicecap ... entsnz.htm
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Were coloured regimental caps actually available during WW2? This seems to be a more modern thing to me.....but I certainly don't mind being proven wrong ;-)

I have seen KORBR ones but this is obviously some time after WW2.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Pladhams » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Indeed i believe so, at least just pre war anyway as my friend who does Kings Liverpool has one, a copy of the one his grandfather used and you do occasionally see RA ones crop up on ebay.
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Postby plbramham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:44 pm

See your point.
Is attached photo the sort of side cap you were thinking of ? ( pic in India 1928-33) It does seem to be slightly darker than rest of khaki/sand colour uniform, but hard to tell when not in colour, thus maybe black/blue? ( Later KORBR used blue)
I think you may really need to contact the regimental museum on this one to be really accurate
Chers Paul
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
plbramham
General
General

Return to World War Two