Cpl Oliver Roscoe, 4th. Bn. Border Regt.

Topics about the Regiment during the Second World War.

Cpl Oliver Roscoe, 4th. Bn. Border Regt.

Postby Helme10252 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:33 am

This my Grandfather, he served with Border Regiment as follows:

Service Record
Army Number:3603999
Date of Birth: 13/6/1909
Date of Enlistment: 12/6/1940, TA (W)
Regiment on Enlistment: Border Regiment (4th. Bn., Westmorland and Cumberland).
Date of Discharge: 6/12/1942, WIA, Para (XIV) KR 1940.
Home Service: 12/6/1940 – 18/3/1941
Middle East: 19/3/1941 – 30/9/1942
Home Service: 1/10/1942 – 6/11/1942
WIA: 5/12/1941 (Tobruk breakout battle)

This him at Basic Training at Carlisle, August 1940:
Attachments
8 Platoon Border Regt 1940 Oliver Roscoe.jpg
8 Platoon Border Regt 1940 Oliver Roscoe.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
8 Platoon.jpg
8 Platoon Border Regt 1940 crop.jpg
Helme10252
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Cpl Oliver Roscoe, 4th. Bn. Border Regt.

Postby Helme10252 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:46 am

These and following are of him and documents we still have:
Attachments
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
Border Regiment Oliver Roscoe.jpg
Helme10252
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Helme10252 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 am

Pay Book and other documents:
Attachments
Oliver Roscoe (9).jpg
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG (2).jpg
Helme10252
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:46 am

These are a great collection of documents and photos, thank you for sharing them. I particularly like the "Greetings from Syria" and the photo cutout attached, the order from the RAMC Major and the photos where in the Middle East he is posing in his Khaki shorts and shirt (as you would in a hot country), swiftly followed by a Home Service (in December) photo in his great coat because it's so darn cold.

Did his records provide you with the information you might have hoped for?

I was able to get my grandfather's records and they held quite a bit of interesting information, information I never knew simply because when he was alive I was a lot younger and wasn't interested in the wars, and thinking about it I can't seem to recall him ever talking about his service years. Sometimes it's nice to have his records and look on them from time to time but I really wish I had some stories to go with the documents and photos.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Helme10252 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:59 am

He was badly wounded at Tobruk, his left leg was shattered by machine gun fire in an Ambush on a patrol. He had some sad tales of what the Germans did to the survivors but he was left for dead.

He was found and evacuated by ship to Alexandria, this ship was torpedoed as it entered the harbour, he somehow made it to the shore. He was then evacuated to Durban where he spent many months recovering before returning to UK in October 1942, we was then medically discharged.

I have his medals (he never claimed them, as he believed they should have been sent to him), service record and pay book, even his old dog tag!

He died in the late 1980's.
Attachments
IMG_0014.jpg
Helme10252
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:40 am

Helme10252 wrote:He was badly wounded at Tobruk, his left leg was shattered by machine gun fire in an Ambush on a patrol. He had some sad tales of what the Germans did to the survivors but he was left for dead.

He went through hell for a while, especially with a shattered leg. I can't imagine what he must have gone though at the time. To be left there with the pain and your thoughts must have been tough. Some guys (regardless of which war) just accept fate and wait for the inevitable to happen. I guess if a wound is so severe you will bleed out quickly but in your grandfather's case he was one of the lucky ones having been found in time. Are these stories about the what the Germans did to the survivors too shocking to be told here?

Helme10252 wrote:He was found and evacuated by ship to Alexandria, this ship was torpedoed as it entered the harbour, he somehow made it to the shore. He was then evacuated to Durban where he spent many months recovering before returning to UK in October 1942, we was then medically discharged.

Not only was he shot but also made it to a ship that was torpedoed, you'd be mighty annoyed at that! Good news he made it to shore though. All these twists of fate. How many people can say 'what if he didn't make it that day', all those people would exist today.

Helme10252 wrote:I have his medals (he never claimed them, as he believed they should have been sent to him), service record and pay book, even his old dog tag!

Same here and I feel very lucky and extremely honoured to be in possession of them. My grandfather was a Desert Rat (1st RTR). I wish I knew more about him, the little stories, the people he fought with, what it was like in the tanks, in battle, his convalescence etc. Sadly, that is a missed opportunity as he passed away in 1998.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Very , very, nice posting.

By the "Helme" in your address I assume you have a connection with the Oxenholme area near Kendal?

I am the Kendal Town Councillor who was charged with the town's WW1 exhibition, but I am very keen about the Kendal's connection with WW2 - especially 4th Border at Incheville ( Dunkirk rearguard), Tobruk, Burma etc.

I knew several 4th Bn men and worked with the son of one who was a Sergeant ( Richard Rylands) who was killed at Incheville, also "Burma" men.

Please check the forum's WW2 section, (especially Incheville and Burma, but I haven't found much about North Africa) and feel free to contact me should you feel I may have any information for you,

Best Wishes ,

Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby Helme10252 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:57 pm

The Helme connection is my Grandmothers maiden name. 7 Helme Brothers served in WW1 and they all made it through. Samuel Helme served with the Border Regiment and was wounded, not sure when and where, he then transferred to Military Foot Police. I have established who the 4 of the brothers served with but still struggling with others.

Sadly there is no known, at this stage, connection with WW2 and Border Regiment beyond my Grandfather, he joined too late for France and was invalided out in 1942.

There is not that much I have been able to find out about Syria and then Tobruk

My paternal Grandfather was a Chindit, WO2 CSM with the Lancashire Fusiliers, he was KIA at Moguang on 18 June 1944.
Helme10252
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Pladhams » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:56 pm

My Grandfather also served with the 4th Battalion, Sgt J.W Thompson.
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Postby hussar1000 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:38 am

A most informative post, thank you.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to World War Two