Lonsdale Cemetery visit next year

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Re: Lonsdale Cemetery visit next year

Postby kerchi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Whilst it would be emotional to go on the 1st July, and of course there is a significance of that day for both our ancestors, it isn't important to me personally to go on the 1st July. For me it's about paying my respects and that can be done any day of the year, I would rather it wasn't in torrential rain or hurricane weather. I was thinking either late spring or late summer but if you think that generally it doesn't get swamped with people at any particular time, I'll just see what happens closer to the time 8-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Lonsdale Cemetery visit next year

Postby plbramham » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:59 am

I DID go to The Somme for the centenary this year in July.

I was rather disgusted at The Menin Gate ( yeah I know that's Ypres, not The Somme) where you could not get anywhere near with all the hundreds of schoolkids scoffing Belgian chocolates and sat on the kerb ( at instruction of their teachers who were no doubt getting a "free-bee" trip!) They did not even stand for sounding of The Last Post.. Totally disrespectful.)

I will be going to The Menin Gate in a couple of weeks on Armistice Day where I have been asked to lay a wreath on behalf of my town, and local branch of Royal British Legion ( see photo). There is NOTHING so emotive as hearing the buglers sound the Last Post - daily at 8pm. (also photo attached)I Being a "cripple" has abvantages - you get to the front! I first went about 14 years ago when only a couple of hundred people turned up. I went earlier this year and there were thousands. I will make it!

( Sorry Mike , if you come to Kendal, I will not be able to take you up to Kendal castle again - my mobility has worsened)

I WILL make it to the Menin gate - never give up eh?

Regards Paul

P.S. Incidentally I cannot recommend Leger battlefield trips too highly ( I stress I have absolutely no connection with them, just a very keen user). It is a very long trip, three coaches and ferry from my "neck of the woods - up North", but you get great hotels and a knowledgeable guide throughout. I have been with them four times and have three more booked, including Arnhem and Dunkirk
Attachments
menin 02.jpg
Menin Gate Ypres
meningatelastpost4.jpg
Ypres firemen sound daily 8pm The Last Post at Menin Gate
paul  wreath.jpg
Kendal Town Councillor Paul Bramham with Menin Gate wreath
plbramham
General
General

Previous

Return to General Chat