Memorabilia - Albert Cathedral

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Re: Memorabilia - Albert Cathedral

Postby kerchi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:58 am

I would agree that they are not the same man. The eyes are different, which for me is the most obvious things, also the bridge of his nose is different from your grandfather's. Spike's mention of the ears I would agree with; they are very similar as are the cheeks, however, I still don't think they are the same person.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CStewart » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Neither of them are my grandfather. The other borderman was among the postcard collection. Fairly sure it is not my grandfather. It is very likely someone who lived in the Ainstable area though.
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:26 pm

i cannot throw any light on the story or characters but just wanted to thank you for sharing it with us.

Good luck with your research.

Regards and best wishes,
Scottie,.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:15 am

CStewart wrote:Neither of them are my grandfather. The other borderman was among the postcard collection. Fairly sure it is not my grandfather. It is very likely someone who lived in the Ainstable area though.

Oooops :redface: I should pay more attention when I read people's posts. A great photo though.

Have you every considered putting an ad in the local papers (if funds allow) to see if anyone else recognises him?

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby slb1948 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:25 am

Hello. I may be your only Australian member. It was interesting to read the information and see the pictures of the postcards posted by CStewart. I believe William Beaumont to be my great-uncle. The information contained in your forum has been very interesting to read. I have not been able to find any information relating to his life after the War, but I have a reference to his death in Carlisle in 1961. Will keep checking for any further updates.
slb1948
Private
Private

Postby CockneyTone » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am

Slb,

welcome to the site, its great to have an Australian Borderite onboard.

Why don't you introduce yourself to us in the New Members section and let us know yiour area of interest/expertise?

Regards and best wishes,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby spike » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:50 am

Slb

PM me with your email address if you'd like a copy of the picture of W Beaumont
and the article from the newspaper (full size as opposed to the 800x600 on site)
and I'll gladly send it to you

Spike
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby CStewart » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm

It is great to hear that someone has recognised William Beaumont as a relative. Perhaps you would like a copy of the postcard too.
Anyone who was following the saga of the postcards and the Grandfather confusion may be interested to know that following a visit to relatives in Cumbria I have at last found his service number written on his medals. With it was a Border regt collar badge. The confusion gets worse because the medals say '4-D.gds' after his name and number. My Aunt (very elderly and prone to confusion) seems to think this was Dragoon Guards does anyone know if this is right?
Carol
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby spike » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 am

I don't know, but that is what it would suggest to me, Carol.
with his service number you might find a Medal Index Card...
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby CStewart » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 am

I have now found the record thanks and it seems that it is the 4th Dragoon Guards but there is a second number after it . There is no regiment name but the number is D 16821 could this be the border connection?
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat