Memorabilia - Albert Cathedral

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Re: Memorabilia - Albert Cathedral

Postby spike » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:14 am

It is possible, I have listed for the 8th Border a man with the number 16815 and another with 16847,
so these numbers could have been issued around the same time.
It is not cast in stone, but I have come across cases of men enlisting with close service numbers in Border
battalions, when they were brothers or colleagues and enlisted at the same time.
As I say you cannot take it as being an exact pointer, but it is a hint that it was a Border Number.
The BR Museum may be able to tell you more....
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby spike » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:41 am

As an aside and regarding the medals inscription,
The 4th Dragoon Guards were a famous Cavalry battalion (if that is the term for cavalry)
who fired the first shot of the war by by British Expeditionary Force. There is a monument
in Belgium to this, very near the plaque marking the position reached by the BEF at the wars end.
They also were the first troops across the Rhine and occupied Cologne after the armistice.
For a good book on the 4th DG, read "Tickled to Death to Go", the story of Trooper Ben Clouting
and the 4th DG during the war.
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby CStewart » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks Spike. I followed up your message and rang Border museum who confirmed that it was not a border number but probably a re numbering of the 4th DG and that he definitely was in France with them. I did find a book by Rev Harold Gibb which is a record of Irish Dragoon Guards 1914 -1918. first published 1923. It is interesting but a fairly dry read. I will see if I can pick up the one you have suggested. Just a point of interest William and George Graham's mother comes up as Farrer on the census although Fairer on marriage certificate - I wonder if any distant connection to your John Farrer?
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby spike » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:32 pm

It's(Farrer) not an uncommon name around north Cumbria, so who knows.....

Tickled to Death to Go is no dry read,
one of my favourite Great War Books,
along with Devil in the Drum by JF Lucy
and Brothers in War by Michael Walsh
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby CStewart » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:50 pm

I have ordered Tickled to Death so thanks for that. It does seem that I am on this site by false pretences now but I do hope that you will allow me to stay here because Great Uncle George was W and C Yeomanry and it appears that paternal Grandad may have been Border Regt. although from North East with a 2 digit regt. number. I havn't had time to follow it through yet.
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby kerchi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 pm

At least now you know and I am pleased you were able to find some use from the forum and some of it's knowledgeable members. You are always welcome here and with a great uncle in the W & C Y and a paternal grandfather in the Border Regiment, maybe, if you have success in finding out about them, you'd let us know how you get on in the future.
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CStewart » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks Kerchi. The KOBR museum are on the case trying to verify the medal records that seem to be for my paternal Grandad, John Henry Hall who would have been 39 in 1914, and his brother Thomas Pratt Hall who may also have been in the Border Regiment. I will keep you posted. Hall is a very common name though. William Graham was definitely 4th Dragoon Guards although finding out more is a slow job. I do now have his MIC and his service numbers. As for George Graham Wand C Yeo, decifering his medal card is slow as it is complicated. The Long long Trail site info has been helpful but doesnt cover all the notes about returned medals etc. It appears that no one in the family seems to have his medals.
Thanks again, Carol
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby CStewart » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:51 pm

For anyone previously reading and interested in this thread Re. piece of Albert Cathedral. We have recently visited Albert and the cathedral. The new cathedral has a totally different style and has an excellent museum in the tunnels below it. they have lots of memorabilia there so my precious piece is staying firmly in our safe keeping.
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Previous

Return to General Chat