Sponsorship of tanks in WW1 from towns and citys

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Re: Sponsorship of tanks in WW1 from towns and citys

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:32 am

Have you seen this youtube video Mike?

It is of the exact same generic postcard you have but, as explained here in the video, the same image is used for several different places (the text is just altered). I don't know how true this is.

In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Windermere tank.
I have received information as to exactly where the Windermere tank was located. It was not on the Glebe at Bowness (next to the lake). It was just north of the Baddeley clock halfway down the hill between Windermere town and Bowness. See: http://www.edgeguide.co.uk/cumbria/wind ... tower.html . Windermere is the area where the railway station is – Bowness is where the lake is. (Incidentally “Windermere lake” is an incorrect term – “mere” means “lake”, so by referring to “Windermere lake” or “Lake Windermere” means you are saying “lake” twice! Bit pedantic I know, but the locals are touchy about it!)
If you head down the hill from Windermere, just before the war memorial and police station, there is a road which doubles back on itself with a slate clock tower at the junction. There is a small garden (next to a redundant public toilet block!) and I assume that this must be where the tank was situated.
I received this information from Border Regt officer Michael Hopkinson, whose father was the Major who lost an eye during the 4th Bn D Company action on the Dunkirk rearguard action at Incheville in 1940,
Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Ulverston tank
The Ulverston tank was situated at “Tank square”, the large roundabout on the main road through the town (not the first “Booths” roundabout you encounter when heading into the town on the A590 from the Grange over Sands direction) See the map on this website: http://www.keswick.org/content/doc/lib/ ... ge%201.pdf Note it is still named “Tank Square”
Strange how the Ulverston “by-pass” actually runs through the middle of the town!
Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:06 pm

I am very familiar with the location between Windermere and Bowness; both beautiful places and I enjoy my visits there when it is quieter. I can imagine the Windermere tank in situ there.

I had to look on google maps for Ulverston. The street view doesn't show it as a very picturesque location but then it's a roundabout on an A road. I guess it would have looked different in those days....not the best of ideas to have the by-pass going through the town, the same can be said for the M8 going through the middle of Glasgow!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Maybe it could have "appeared" as a better looking location back then as it was right next to where Hartley's Ulverston brewery was until the 1990s!
Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:04 pm

I wonder if there are any old B&W photos knocking around somewhere, not necessarily with the tank in situ, but a general view of what the place would have looked like then.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:32 pm

There must be photos - perhaps at "The Dock Museum" in Barrow ( http://www.dockmuseum.org.uk/ ) - somewhere really worth a visit if you are in the area. They have a great section about the "Barrow Blitz of WW2.
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:38 pm

It would definitely be one of those place I would visit if I lived a bit closer; I am quite interested in look at, and reading about, areas that were affected by the Blitz in WW2. I have a fairly decent photo book showing bomb damage caused to buildings and streets etc. (from the Daily Mail's archives) across the country and the people that were affected by it but sadly the images are copyright material so can't reproduce.

It's on Amazon for as little as £2 to £3
ISBN 1-40544-009-0

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:19 pm

kerchi wrote:Have you seen this youtube video Mike?

It is of the exact same generic postcard you have but, as explained here in the video, the same image is used for several different places (the text is just altered). I don't know how true this is.

Thanks for that Chris, no I hadn't seen it.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby plbramham » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Here's the Windermere tank! Probably 1920s, but I guess by the car maybe early 1930s? Any motoring experts out there?
Regards Paul
P.S also click to page three, another image.
Attachments
Windermere  WW1  tank.jpg
plbramham
General
General

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat