Sponsorship of tanks in WW1 from towns and citys

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Re: Sponsorship of tanks in WW1 from towns and citys

Postby plbramham » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Another view (earlier?) of Windermere tank
Attachments
windermere tank.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:33 am

Great photos. I've walked along there a few times. Not that much has changed since then has it? Apart from the road markings and signs, street lighting and the trees are somewhat maturer....oh, and the tank's missing! ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Kendal tank

Postby plbramham » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Here it is , "The Kendal tank" I guess early 1920s postcard image.

This is the WW1 tank presented to Kendal as a "war trophy" for WW1 savings campaign which was beside the river, until I believe used as scrap for WW2?

( Ah not to be confused with the SECOND World War Savings plaques, now in the entrance to the Town Hall which were rescued from the picture store after I wondered why they had not been re-erected after town hall redecoration, even though the securing screws and mounts on either side of the Assembly Room entrance were still there - glaring from the wall when you exit the Mayor's parlour! !)

Many towns received redundant tanks in the 1920s, including Ulverston ( the "main" roundabout is still known by old locals as "tank square"), and Windermere - small garden behind the Baddeley (spelling?) clock just under the Carver church - where the toilet block was ( hey, remember when we had public toilets eh?!)

I have heard that Kendal received other "war trophies", such as a pair of machine guns presented to the Mayor, ( maybe given to WW2 home guard perhaps?) and a German howitzer which apparently was originally on display in the Market Place, then at Abbot Hall Park. I've never seen photos of either though, so maybe an "urban myth" of things which never arrived!

Regards Paul
Attachments
Kendal WW1 Tank.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:26 pm

This image is gold! Just been looking on google maps to get my bearings on position. Is that the Miller Bridge and behind it Anyam Road?

It looks a little strange though in that the tank almost looks like it is superimposed. Is it just me?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Yes, you are correct, it is Miller Bridge next to Aynam Road, beside the River Kent in the centre of Kendal.
No, not superimposed, just I had to enhance and sharpen the image in photoshop, as it is only a section of a (low grade) postcard.

Will paste below correspondence yesterday with other local enthusiasts. (Couple of rough images attached from a leaflet - author is not bothered about copyright, although they are out of the time period anyway)
Paul ,

" There is a small booklet about the Kendal tank - "Kendal Remembers The War", by Arthur Nicholls, published by Kendal Civic Society in 2007 - possibly out of print now.

Apparently the tank arrived by rail at Kendal ( not Oxenholme) railway station ( yes "railway station" not "train station" - I hate the Amercianism language creeping into our speech, or am just a grumpy old man?) after it was decided that Stramongate bridge WOULD stand the weight for it to be transported to it's "resting place" on a concrete plinth by the river!

Apparently there was a lot of public opinion to get rid of "a reminder of war" in the 1930s, and about 1938 it was sold for scrap by the Kendal Borough Council for £50 to a scrap merchant from Newcastle called "Cohen". ( I wonder if he had any Jewish family who suffered at the hands of the Germans a couple of years later - I'm REALLY not being "anti-Semetic" , just realistic!)

The booklet does also mentions "war trophy" guns at Abbot Hall park, which apparently survived (slightly!) longer than the tank.

I believe nationally only one of the " town trophy tanks" survived the WW2 scrap drive - I forget where, somewhere "down South" I think, and the reason was that it had been "gutted" and converted into an electricity sub station!

Regards Paul"
Attachments
Kendal  tank1.jpg
kendal  WW1  tank 2.jpg
Small image of tank (centre left of photo) on far river bank, just behind a tree
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Small booklets from local societies can be notoriously difficult to get hold off. I, too, imagine it is no longer in print. They probably only printed a small number anyway and those that do exist are most likely "archived" somewhere in people's houses. Interesting though to see the tank in different viewpoints, especially with the flood raging by.

I have seen a postcard online somewhere of a WW1 tank outside Carlisle Castle. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Found that image I mentioned above. I would like to have shown it here but hot linking is frowned upon so here is the link to the actual image, not the page the image is on. It shows the tank sitting on a concrete plinth just outside the main gates.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5650/2232/1600/c4.27.jpg

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:23 pm

I've been reading the borrowed booklet more closely, and the tank was driven, under it's own power from Kendal railway station ( I emphasise KENDAL, not Oxenholme). There MUST be photos somewhere, but I have never seen any. Perhaps worth my checking the library around 1920-ish, to see any Gazette/Mercury newspaper cuttings. I'm still looking for images of the guns at Abbot Hall, which lasted longer than the tank before scrapping.

Apparently the tank's engine was removed and went to be used at a quarry in Kentmere/Longsleddale, ( to power what? - it is a massive engine!) and it is rumoured that it is still there - no doubt unused for decades.

I must check that area by the river as I bet there are some traces of the concrete plinth - even if just discolouration in the grass.

There was much council debate in the 1930s - one group saying it was ugly and did not want the expense of repainting it, the others that it was a fitting reminder for future generations of warefare, ( little did they know how soon it would happen), and a "supplement" to the town war memorial. Obviously, as with all the country's "trophy tanks", scrappage won in the end.

The "Kendal tank" was a "female" type - i.e fitted with machine guns, the "male" type had cannons. Apparently it saw action and served until the Armistice, with no damage!

Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Chris,
Just looked at your image of the Carlisle tank. Guess pretty much on the area of the " new" main road through the town.
Bit ironic, I can think of two Cumbrian places where a "by-pass" actually went through the middle of the town! Namely, Carlisle and Ulverston, and both went over the former sites of their WW1 trophy tanks!
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:56 pm

plbramham wrote:I've been reading the borrowed booklet more closely, and the tank was driven, under it's own power from Kendal railway station ( I emphasise KENDAL, not Oxenholme). There MUST be photos somewhere, but I have never seen any. Perhaps worth my checking the library around 1920-ish, to see any Gazette/Mercury newspaper cuttings. I'm still looking for images of the guns at Abbot Hall, which lasted longer than the tank before scrapping.

There must have been something written about that in the paper so a trip to the library might be fruitful. If it wasn't written about I'd be very surprised as it's quite a big thing, not only literally but also symbolically. Protestors making statements about it being a reminder of the war, its negative connotations representing death and destruction is something else that would have fuelled the media. I, personally, would love to have seen it there as I firmly believe that something like that is a positive yet stark reminder of the war (any war really) and something we should never forget.

plbramham wrote:I must check that area by the river as I bet there are some traces of the concrete plinth - even if just discolouration in the grass.

Certainly a lot easier to grass over it than dig it out.

plbramham wrote:The "Kendal tank" was a "female" type - i.e fitted with machine guns, the "male" type had cannons. Apparently it saw action and served until the Armistice, with no damage!

I do have a booklet on the tanks of WW1 with some old b&w photos so I will dig it out and have a look at some of the specs etc. Even though the booklet is modern the images are not (obviously) so do you think it would be ok to post a couple?

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat