Sponsorship of tanks in WW1 from towns and citys

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Re: Sponsorship of tanks in WW1 from towns and citys

Postby kerchi » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:38 pm

A British Mark III tank in a ditch or shell crater. 1917.

In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:48 pm

A British Mark IV Tank showing the unditching beam. 1917.

In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:26 am

kerchi wrote:"Interesting point Ian. But if a modern publication uses the original images without altering them in any way would they still not come under the "public domain" classification as they are still the original out-of-copyright images and therefore does not contravene copyright? Because there is no copyright to contravene. If they are classed as "out of copyright" or "public domain", anyone can use them, that's how I guess a lot of authors get images of this era in the first place for their books."

You'd be scanning a different/new image. The image in the book will itself have been presumably scanned from a different source, an original old photo maybe. It may also have been digitally processed to be cleaned, cropped etc.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:40 pm

IanT wrote:You'd be scanning a different/new image. The image in the book will itself have been presumably scanned from a different source, an original old photo maybe.

So, by simply using a scanned version of the original constitutes a brand new image, therefore can be copyrighted? Even if it wasn't altered in anyway? This is where it starts getting silly and no wonder many a confused soul gets lost on the subject.

Any image that is older than 90 years should remain copyright free and in the public domain regardless of whether or not someone has scanned it and maybe cropped. That doesn't make it theirs to own. However, I also don't believe 90+ year old images should be used for people to make money from them either and this has come up in other topics before.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:18 pm

But the image in a book published, say, in 2010 is not 90 years old and the author/publisher has spent time & money getting it into the book. I'd be interested in what Paul says about this with his background. It is certainly confusing, and there are intellectual property rights that come into the picture too!!
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:33 pm

It's certainly a very grey area for those that have not studied copyright to the extent of covering all it encompasses. The plethora of copyright law can serve to hinder as much as it is meant to help.

So, here's another public domain tank image:

British Mark V Tanks with crib fanciness pictured here at Bellicourt, 29 September, 1918. Crib fancines were used to help them pass rough and awkward terrain such as crossing trenches and although cumbersome they did prove useful, especially when crossing the Hindenburg line.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Previous

Return to General Chat