Western Front photos needed 2?

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Western Front photos needed 2?

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Borderites,

I am having a crafty couple of days on the Somme and returning via Ypres in a couple of weeks, if anybody requires photos of headstones ect please let me know, you will understand I cannot make any promises but will try my best for you!

Spike,
I will be taking your 5th Border list and try to get a couple of them for you!

Best wishes,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Western Front photos needed 2?

Postby mrdeacon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Great offer Scottie but now i am going to ask a stupid question but which cemeterys could you be visiting.

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Mike,

a bit difficult to say at the moment, I aim to pick off some of Spikes 5th Battalion Cemeteries, when I have decided what ones I aim to get too I will post them on here for information.

That said if you have any Cemeteries on the Somme/Arras/Ypres area post them and I will see if I can get to them. One benefit of offering to take photos is you get to visit cemeteries that you may otherwise not get too, often of the beaten track!

Kind regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby plbramham » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:06 am

Hi Scottie,
If the Pas-de-Calais area is on your route to the Somme and you happen to have any spare time, please could you try to get a photo for me of the cemetery and the grave of:

PAGE, SIDNEY . Lance Corporal 40803. Born Norfolk 1882. Date of Death: 08/09/1917. 9th Bn. Norfolk Regiment

Grave Reference Plot II. Row L. 14. MAROC BRITISH CEMETERY, GRENAY (Cemetery plan attached) I've never been there, but it sounds like it's not very large and I beleive it started as a front line burial site just over the brow of a hill out of sight of the Germans (maybe the odd Border burial lurking there? - I haven't checked to see if they were ever in that sector):
" Maroc British Cemetery is located in the village of Grenay, which is about 15 kilometres south-east of Bethune. From Lens take the N43 towards Bethune. After Loos-en-Gohelle turn left (after the petrol station) and continue straight on. The Cemetery is a few kilometres on the right side of the road, in the village."

I've been contacted by a relation of mine in South Yorkshire who says that Page is apparently my third cousin or something like that, and he wondered if I knew anything about him (Christ - Norfolk! that means I have "Southerners" in the family!) Actually I did know that my mother's side (surname Vought) came to Norfolk from Holland in the early 1800s. I guess the land in Norfolk - flooded and flat, was very much like Holland. I've thought that maybe they came over to dig the drainage which was being done at that time if they had experience doing similar work in Holland? (Pity I didn't know about that when at was down there at Thetford on an excercise with the KORBR territorials in the 1990s)

Thanks if you can help, perfectly understandable if not (we tend to forget how big France is compared with our “little” England)
Regards Paul.
Attachments
Maroc cemetery Grenay.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby CockneyTone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Paul,

I aim to try and follow the 'Old Front Line' from the Somme up to Ypres so should be in the vicinity of this cemetery so will try my best to get to visit Sidney Page and pay my respects and get a picture for you! Norfolk? A southerner? Not from where I come from he is a northerner!

Kind regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 am

Borderites!

So far my 'wish list' of Cemeteries to visit are;

On the Somme;
Adanac
AIF Burial Ground, Flers.
Ancre British.
Aveluy Communual.
Carnoy.
Caterpillar Valley.
Dartmoor Cemetery.
Flat Iron Copse.

At Ypres;
Sanctuary Wood.
Lijssenthoek (Possible?)
Railway Dugouts.
Canada Farm.
Zillebeke Churchyard.

On the way down I will be in the vicinity of Wancourt, then when I travel from the Somme to Ypres I plan to go over Aubers Ridge, via Fromelles, Armenteires!

So I can get my planning in place could any requests be posted by Friday 22nd please?

Kind regards,
best ishes,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby plbramham » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi,
If possible could you please take a photo of the "Unknown Soldier of the Border Regiment" CWGC headstone at Sanctuary Wood . I photographed it in a group of headstones, but it's a bit small to blow up and use individually (see below). I've always wished I had taken a picture of it on it's own as a good " generic" image without a name.
If I remember correctly, as you go into the entrance it's in the first couple of rows to your left.
P.S. Here's a challenge - to try to get it without any schoolkids in the background!
Thanks Paul
Attachments
unknown border.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby CockneyTone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Paul,
its on the list!
Regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby spike » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Scottie,
Any you can get from the 5th Border List would be gratefully appreciated.....
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby CockneyTone » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Spike,

Will do old chap!