Japanese POW cards WW2

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Japanese POW cards WW2

Postby mrdeacon » Fri May 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi guys,

I know this is a million dollar question, but I have just received 2 POW cards for 2 of my chaps from WW2 for my Cockermouth research and I was wondering if anyone or if you no of someone who can read Japanese who could decipher them for me.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Japanese POW cards WW2

Postby plbramham » Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 pm

With the large number of Japanese tourists we get in the Lake District, I bet Cumbria Tourist Board could point you in the right direction for a translator.
More specifically the Japanese are nuts about Beatrix Potter ( I believe that their school kids are taught to read English using books about Peter Rabbit etc hence why they all come to the Lake District), so perhaps the National Trust at Beatrix Potters old home Hill Top,Sawrey, http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hill-top/ or other Lake District locations may know of a Japanese speaker.
When I worked on The Westmorland Gazette, one of our reporters used to do a weekly column of humorous stories and anecdotes, and one of his favourites was told to him by a contact at Windermere Tourist Information Centre who said that that had a Japanese visitor who went in to ask where Peter Rabbit's grave was!.
Probably an "urban myth" but a nice story,
Cheers Paul.
Incidentally are you PoW cards 4th or 9th Border by any chance?
plbramham
General
General

Re: Japanese POW cards WW2

Postby mrdeacon » Fri May 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi Paul,

They aren't Border's I am afraid one is RASC and the other is Royal Corps of Signals.
There is a Dutch site that as deciphered all the POW cards belonging to the Dutch people who were captive so I have asked a Dutch friend of mine to get in touch with them to see if they can help.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to General Chat