St Bees School Shooting Competition

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

St Bees School Shooting Competition

Postby Berenice » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:06 pm

I spotted this cup in a display cabinet in St bees School's Reception. The inscription reads:-

ST. BEES SCHOOL
JUNIOR HOUSE SHOOTING COMPETITION
CHALLENGE CUP
PRESENTED BY
THE BORDER REGIMENT

Berenice
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: St Bees School Shooting Competition

Postby kerchi » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:28 am

Nice find. Were you looking for something else and came across this instead?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:29 am

Nice that they are "saved" . I wonder how many (hundreds?) of these cups and trophies have been melted down for silver scrap?
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby Berenice » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:18 pm

kerchi wrote:Nice find. Were you looking for something else and came across this instead?

I was waiting in Reception while the receptionist had gone out to see if I could go in the school's chapel to photograph the war memorials, and had a nosey at the display cabinets. Only time for me to see this one, and also one presented by the residents of Hornchurch, Essex, to Lieutenant William Leefe Robinson, of the RFC, after he became the first man to shoot down a Zeppelin (he was a former pupil at St Bees School).

Maybe someone nearer St Bees than me could ask permission to have a look through the display cabinets?

plbramham wrote:Nice that they are "saved" . I wonder how many (hundreds?) of these cups and trophies have been melted down for silver scrap?
Regards Paul

There must have been many Dead Man's Pennies thrown away by grieving families too.
Berenice
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby plbramham » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi,
Wasn't Robinson ,who shot down the Zeppelin, actually RNAS ( Royal Naval; Air Service) rather than RFC (Royal Flying Corps) ? Just a vague memory,
Of course RNAS and RFC amalgamated early 1918 , March I think, to form the RAF. ( My grandfather joined the RAF in 1919 aged 17)
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby Berenice » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Ah. I don't know. On the cup it says "Worcestershire Regiment & Royal Flying Corps."
Berenice
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby mrdeacon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:55 pm

The unfortunate thing here Bernice, is that I had a copy of St.Bees school year book with pictures and everything regarding this but as it wasn't what I was looking for so I didn't copy any of it sorry.
But if my memory is right it was won in 1913-1914 I think ?

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Berenice » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Donated around 1913-1914? Quite possibly but I can't see any dates on it. Maybe further round there's something.
Berenice
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby plbramham » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:22 am

If it is possible to ask the curator to give a closer look, maybe check silver hallmark for date of manufacture perhaps? Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:30 am

From CWGC:
ROBINSON, WILLIAM LEEFE
Rank: Captain, Date of Death:31/12/1918, ( Note he died AFTER the war ended - flying accident? or a CWGC "typo" error?) Age:23, Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force and Worcestershire Regiment, Awards :V C Grave Reference: In South East part.Cemetery:HARROW WEALD (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION. Additional Information: Son of Horace and Elizabeth Robinson, of Kaima Betta Estate, South Coorg, Southern India. His brother Harold was also killed in Mesopotamia.

Citation:
An extract from the London Gazette, dated 5th Sept., 1916, records:- "For most conspicuous bravery. He attacked an enemy airship under circumstances of great difficulty and danger, and sent it crashing to the ground as a flaming wreck. He had been in the air for more than two hours, and had previously attacked another airship during his flight."

Note his VC action was in 1916 - before the RAF was founded early 1918 (March?), thus I think I am correct that he won it serving with Royal Naval Air Service.

( I note that the cup you photographed was "donated" by the Border Regiment, not the one presented to Robinson?)

Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Next

Return to General Chat