Lonsdale Cemetery visit next year

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Lonsdale Cemetery visit next year

Postby kerchi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 am

I know this has come up before on the forum but things change and hotels and B&Bs fall in and out of favour. I am thinking of going to Lonsdale Cemetery next year, summer most likely, but as yet am not sure when exactly. For those that might have been there fairly recently, or who can recommend a decent place to stay nearby, I am open to suggestions.

Driving abroad isn't on the agenda for us so what options are there for travel, for instance getting there and travelling around? Is it difficult to get from Albert to the cemetery? Guided trips to the cemetery are so expensive.

I plan to take up-to-date photos of every Lonsdale headstone in the cemetery (weather permitting) for the Lonsdale Wiki and anyone else who wants a copy. Being into landscape photography, I also intend to take a series of photos of the cemetery from the nearby fields and of the general area including the woods. Is access available in the woods?

Thanks 8-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Lonsdale Cemetery visit next year

Postby plbramham » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:25 pm

There is of course the "next door" to Lonsdale cemetery campsite owned by the dreaded "Authille" contributor we had problems with a couple of years ago! Maybe not!

Pity you cannot drive. Hotels just over the Border in Belgium are at least a third cheaper than France. That's why the tour companies ( e.g. Leger Holidays - outstanding company by the way) use them.

I am going back in a couple of weeks on a "Tunnellers Tour", then on November 11th for Armistice Day at Menin Gate. Next year to Arnhem. Sounds extravagant, but I have decided I have to do what I can while my legs permit . All these trips are with "Leger Holidays". I stress that I have no personal connection with this company, just a recommendation because they offer outstanding full battlefield guide accompaniment trips. ( you fit a lot in, rather intense schedules - you need a day or so to recover/sleep when you get back!)
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Can i sneak in your suitcases :lol:
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby spike » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:27 pm

The Campsite Is Belle Vue Campsite and is as far as I know, French Owned, The gentleman you refer to Paul, had a static there, but no longer does.
It is in the heart of the Lonsdale areas of July 1st,
http://www.camping-picardy.co.uk/(sejours)/tourisme/hotellerie-de-plein-air/camping-bellevue Camping Belle Vue

It depends if you like the idea of a large static, if there are any available for rent(often the site will rent private owned vans for the owner on French Campsites-I've stayed at a few, but not this one)
As you can see from the link if you want hotels then Albert is only 5 km away and you once said you liked cycling (i think). You could find a bike hire
and weather permitting........ or if you liked walking 5km ain't that far
http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/bike-hire-in-france/bike-hire-in-picardy.html Bike Hire in Picardy.

Just a personal thing, I like the independence of planning my own routes, some prefer the formal tour.
You can walk through from the far side of Thiepval Memorial down a track to the Granatloch (now a clump of trees and bushes) and through a field on to the road out the back of Authuille which was in No Mans Land, but as you descend towards the Cemetery, becomes the British Font line. If you see a Pile of Chalk to thenorth east of the Lonsdale Cemetery track, I believe there was the site of a german machine gun strongpoint. The wood behind the cemetery are those from which they emerged
These woods, I think are on about Chris, are privately owned and hunters operate in them. I do know a guy who has been in for a look and took pictures, but be aware if you do, you might try to get the owners permission, or at least watch you don't get mistaken for game.

If you are going, try and see the La Boiselle Mine ( very near) Pozieres and to my mind travel up the Roman Road from Albert to get an idea of the scale of the battle and also Beaumont Hamel, in which area the Lonsdales fought on 18th Nov 1916, for the Newfoundland Memorial and Park
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:58 am

mrdeacon wrote:Can i sneak in your suitcases :lol:

Yes, sure, if you're about 2 foot tall! 8-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Spike,

I think we would try a hotel or B&B but I wouldn't discount a camp site. I do like the idea of walking to the cemetery. I walk a lot anyway at work and for leisure so 5km is a nice stroll for me. So, yes, weather permitting, I would prefer that option and just walk around the site. I am guessing you have to stick to the paths as it is farmland. The landowners probably don't take too kindly to people walking all over their crops. I won't bother with the woods if it's private.

Having read and researched in the past about where the Lonsdales were, I am familiar with the woods and the Leipzig Salient and how many of them were killed, but that's on paper. It's just not the same as being there and experiencing the place, even if today it is a scene of peace and calm. What would be handy is to have a map with all the map locations of particular interest. I'll have to look into that.

Is language a particular barrier in that area?

Cheers.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Chris
I have always wanted to walk the Authuille Wood (Bois de la Haie) Walk that features in The Battleground Europe: Thiepval :Somme Book by Michael Steadman ( Page167 Map21). I have walked part of the route but not all and not on the same day/month/year :-\

My advice would be get a good Michelin Map of the area and walk from that.

If you check out this map https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Maps/Map-France and go to Authuille and select "outdoors" from the map selection tool (bottom right of icons) and 200m scale you get a view with many of the features and cemeteries you could be looking for.

See my attached screen shot
Authuille.jpg

I find the French always appreciate and are more helpful if you attempt some French, however small, but I would imagine the area gets a lot of English speaking visitors.
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:35 am

Spike, this map is excellent, thanks :-)

I have been looking at the Michelin map and messing around with the different views. Certainly handy to have. I notice there are quite a few paths in the area linking all the cemeteries, Thiepval memorial, Crucifix Corner and Lochnagar so I guess sticking to those and there shouldn't be any problems. Like you said, they get a lot of visitors every year.

I am familiar with the Battleground Europe book, I have a copy but haven't read it for some time now.

I hope to go when there aren't too many people around....I'd like to take people-free landscape photos!

It looks like I will need more than one trip if I want to get in some or all of the other cemeteries nearby. It will take some time to photograph the headstones but I also want to be able to absorb the atmosphere and sit a while to appreciate what these chaps did and pay my respects. I don't like to be rushed, which is why doing this on our own would be better, it's just getting there. It won't be until next year anyway, I have more house stuff to do first.

Have you every tried overlapping this map with the front lines and trench systems of the Leipzig Salient?

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Never tried Chris , but it would be something like this

Authuille2.jpg

Sorry it's not that clear.....
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Interesting! I always wondered how it would look on top of a modern-day map. I remember using the same blank map in a much older wiki. Where did you get the blank map from? If it was transparent that would work perfectly.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Next

Return to General Chat