Lonsdale Cemetery visit next year

You can chat about anything war related or the Border Regiment here.

Re: Lonsdale Cemetery visit next year

Postby spike » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:34 pm

I think it was in the Battleground Europe: Thiepval :Somme Book by Michael Steadman.

but Vic Denholm sent me a slightly larger colour copy which I have somewhere.

I used Paintshop Pro7 to make the picture slightly transparent to fit it on the map....
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby plbramham » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:19 pm

I really am having trouble making postings. Anyone else experiencing this? It is sort of "system not recognised etc" - seems to be since the "system" went down.
Paul,
plbramham
General
General

Postby spike » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:12 pm

No problems this week Paul....
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:21 am

spike wrote:I think it was in the Battleground Europe: Thiepval :Somme Book by Michael Steadman.

but Vic Denholm sent me a slightly larger colour copy which I have somewhere.

I used Paintshop Pro7 to make the picture slightly transparent to fit it on the map....

Yes Spike, I just found my copy of the book (blew some dust off it) and skimmed through the pages. It was definitely from there. I should really read it again to refresh my memory on the events. Do you know of a website that has genuine trench maps? And in particular, if copies need a licence so I could use a digital copy on the wiki? We all know the IWM love to copyright absolutely everything to them but it would be good to see the original of the Leipzig Salient.

I usually use Photoshop Lightroom for my images but it doesn't allow for stacking images, for that I need to learn how to use the main Photoshop software, which I have a subscription to.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi Chris,

Just found this today, from the National Library of Scotland
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=50.0395&lon=2.6679&layers=101465251&b=1
Trench maps, selectable over a Bing Map
Slide the blue dot lower left, for transparency adjustment of trench map

This one gives the British Trenches
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=50.0391&lon=2.6758&layers=101464807&b=1
Note Boggart Hole Clough, Chowbent Street and Chequerbent Street
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:51 am

That's excellent! Perfect way to figure out where everything was and follow the footsteps of the Lonsdales on that fateful first day. Nice find Spike.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:47 pm

I know exactly what you mean about "people free" photos! I tend to skip the " coach exit" briefing and go straight ahead alone so no one in red/orange anoraks are spoiling the picture!.
I did state this reason to a tour guide so he would not be offended if I did not listen to his introductory talks. He was a bit upset when some tour members found I had " a bit of knowledge" ( NOTE I always say I am an enthusiast, not an expert!) and were coming to me to ask questions rather than him! He also was not too pleased when I was asking questions he could not answer!
I was so lucky at Sanctuary Wood because I deliberately went straight through the museum and café, and immediately to the trenches. I had it to myself, No people on photos! Then of course, " going against the flow " ( just when all the schoolkids parties went into the wood), I could easily return through and look at the museum without congestion, as they had gone through it...
It's a tip I learnt from my cousin's husband who was a manger at Disney in Orlando. He told me that when ever you go to any form of attraction, immediately go the very back of the site. The will be no queues as everyone always lines up at first or second place. Conversely, working backwards, by the time you return to first/second site everyone will have gone through!
It really does work. To emphasise, anywhere, go to the very back, of it then go "against the flow"
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 am

plbramham wrote:I know exactly what you mean about "people free" photos! I tend to skip the " coach exit" briefing and go straight ahead alone so no one in red/orange anoraks are spoiling the picture!.
I did state this reason to a tour guide so he would not be offended if I did not listen to his introductory talks. He was a bit upset when some tour members found I had " a bit of knowledge" ( NOTE I always say I am an enthusiast, not an expert!) and were coming to me to ask questions rather than him! He also was not too pleased when I was asking questions he could not answer!

Being so busy is the main thing that puts me off going and, of course, being an amateur photographer (and I use that term loosely - I know my way around a camera but I am certainly no expert) I am always keen to get a good capture with people. But I certainly wouldn't want other people not to experience the sites just because I want a good shot! Which is why I need to time it right; summertime but not the busiest time in summer and not the busiest time of day, if that's even possible. I don't have anywhere near the knowledge you have Paul but I, too, would be inclined to skip the introductory talk.

plbramham wrote:I was so lucky at Sanctuary Wood because I deliberately went straight through the museum and café, and immediately to the trenches. I had it to myself, No people on photos! Then of course, " going against the flow " ( just when all the schoolkids parties went into the wood), I could easily return through and look at the museum without congestion, as they had gone through it...
It's a tip I learnt from my cousin's husband who was a manger at Disney in Orlando. He told me that when ever you go to any form of attraction, immediately go the very back of the site. The will be no queues as everyone always lines up at first or second place. Conversely, working backwards, by the time you return to first/second site everyone will have gone through!
It really does work. To emphasise, anywhere, go to the very back, of it then go "against the flow"
Cheers Paul

Sounds like a good idea and something I intend to do if, when I arrive and there is literally a coach-load of people, I'll make a hasty walk to the back so to speak and work my way to the front. My priority is Lonsdale Cemetery first as this is where my great grandfather is buried and then, depending on time, see how how many other nearby places I can visit.

I really want to get a photo similar to the one on the back of Colin Bardgett's book, The Lonsdale Battalion (Colin is a relative of mine, cousins with my mum I think) where he is standing behind John Bardgett's headstone. Then, I would really like to photograph every Lonsdale headstone there and if possible, get some people-free wider captures of the area. If I can achieve that I will be a very happy chap indeed!

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 am

For those that have been, when is your preferred time of year to go?

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:37 pm

I never have been on July 1st, more later in the month /early August.
Whatever time of day, it was not busy.
But I did go on my own bat, so to speak, not as part of a trip....
SPIKE

spike
General
General

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat