The Regiments: KORBR tv program (youtube video)

Topics about the Regiment after the amalgamation of 1959.

The Regiments: KORBR tv program (youtube video)

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:49 am

Here are four parts of an ITV program originally shown on Border TV about The King's Own Royal Border Regiment (and the King's Own Scottish Borderers as well) regarding the amalgamation that was announced in 2004.

Here's the first part.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: The Regiments: KORBR tv program (youtube video)

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:51 am

Part two.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:52 am

Part three.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:54 am

Part four.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm

That's great Chris, I don't know how I missed that series.
Did you notice that the on screen captions often incorrectly states "KORBR" not Border Regiment, although they do correctly name the regiment in the commentary, Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Just watched all those clips Chris, and there are a lot of faces I remember - especially Phil McNeill who I met in Bosnia.
I do not want to give the wrong impression - I was never a soldier ,( although I found that I'm a pretty good shot with an SA80 but just on the Warcop range during the first Gulf War training sessions!).My connection to the regiment is only that I volunteered (as a press photographer) to accompany the KORBR on parts of their tours in Northern Ireland and Bosnia, plus my work for the Border Regiment chapel in Kendal.
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:27 pm

I hadn't noticed the discrepancy between the screen captions and the commentary although I didn't see this series when broadcast and only saw parts of this last night as I was posting them. I did enjoy watching this though and I am glad a stumbled across this especially I was on youtube for something else!

I can't image how many photos you must have taken as, I am guessing, you were the official (and only - am I correct?) press officer following the KORBR in Northern Ireland and Bosnia. You're certainly are one of few people who got to shoot not only photos but guns as well during your history with them!! Although there is a big difference between the Nikon and the SA80!! ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi Chris,
Yes, I fired cameras at people, but not “guns”!
There were other “accredited press” involved, but maybe I was the most “astute” about the situations.
KORBR did have a regimental press officer in both theatres – a Lieutenant, who dealt with PR.
I do not wish to exaggerate my role - I was just “there”
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:47 pm

If you don't mind me asking, and apologies if you have mentioned this to me in previous correspondence etc., but what kind of photos/stories were you covering? (if you are allowed to say) Was it a case of trying to catch anything like those desirable action shots, or something with emotion and/or something compelling etc., or was it more about showing us what it was really like for the lads in whatever situation they were in, in an unbiased and honest light?

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:55 pm

I guess you could say I sort of "attached " to the the battalion living with them in the barracks and accompanying them on patrols. My main priority was trying to find "local" soldiers to photograph them in the environment in which they were serving,
See: Northern Ireland- viewtopic.php?f=129&t=1707&p=4090&hilit=northern+ireland#p4090
Bosnia- viewtopic.php?f=129&t=1711&p=4111&hilit=bosnia#p4111
Incidentally I used a Nikon FM2 in Ireland and Nikon F4 and 801 in Bosnia. ( Thankfully pre-digital days -Film cameras were tougher than digital ones!) Main problem in Bosnia was that batteries do not like low temperatures (same as your car battery) . In cold weather ( including when in my usual role in the Lake District)I also always kept spares next to my body so they were warm.
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Next

Return to King's Own Royal Border Regiment (1959-2006)