The Regiments: KORBR tv program (youtube video)

Topics about the Regiment after the amalgamation of 1959.

Re: The Regiments: KORBR tv program (youtube video)

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Yes, I remember those photos; you allowed me to add them to the wiki. Are there any you were, or still are, exceptionally pleased with?

Were you ever disappointed with some of the photos you took (not the ones in the other threads) whilst out on patrol?

Did this ever drive you to change tactics to get the shots that worked for you?

This is interesting to me simply because you know I like photography and I have never been in a situation as you have back then.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Probably one of my all time ever favourite photos I took was the "Guns not Dolls" one in Northern Ireland. It showed the lads interacting with the locals - "Hearts and Minds" policy.
The main problem was a lot were "snatch photos" - You just grabbed a shot when you saw it and worried about the settings later. ( You could usually rescue a badly exposed negative in the darkroom - you cannot if it is out of focus or there is subject movement.)
Of course back then there was no autofocus ( well not reliable - I didn't have it), and as for automatic exposure - the FM2 did not have it! I could have used autoexposure in Bosnia, but I don't think the F4 could have handled it - too much snow to confuse the exposure meter!
I just left my kit set at around f8 at 250th sec ( and adjusted the asa to allow it when possible)and the focussing set at about 15 feet or so depth of field allowed for an element of error if you didn't have time to focus.
It's better to get a slightly "fuzzy" picture or to blow it up from a portion of the negative, than to miss it completely when messing about changing settings ( like I said my equipment were not automatics - those cameras which had that facility were not particularly reliable)
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:19 pm

plbramham wrote:Probably one of my all time ever favourite photos I took was the "Guns not Dolls" one in Northern Ireland. It showed the lads interacting with the locals - "Hearts and Minds" policy.

Yes, that is a great photo. I'd say that taking your shot "on the fly" so to speak offers a real sense of the rawness that works so well with this particular subject matter. Obviously, there is more chance of getting those not-so-good blurry or fuzzy photos but I guess a lot of this was just pot luck; being in the right place at the right time with the right conditions for any given shot for any given situation.......mostly impossible but great when it works!

With the advent of more sophisticated cameras it makes the job profoundly easier but I have noticed it still takes a lot of skill to get it right. Not the same thing I tried candid street photography and initially I was surprised how bad (generally) the photos were. Not the results I really wanted....they just didn't work for me so it was back to the drawing board. I can only imagine how difficult it was for you using your gear in those situations.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Yes and doing "candid shots - i.e. court snatch pictures, increases the risk of you getting belted when people do not want to be photographed! ( Try taking pictures from the hip or waist so people don't notice that you are photographing them by raising the camera to your eye)
See attached "holiday photo" I took from the hip of an old guy at a street café in Sicily - a "natural" photo because he did not know it was being taken - I quite like the out of focus hand in the foreground of his mate gesticulating while talking too!.
As you correctly say being in the right place at the right time is an element of luck, but reacting to it and getting the image , has to become instinct.
Paul
Attachments
old man in conversation  sicily.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:39 pm

It was taking the photos from the hip (with a bit of tilt) and guessing where to shot was the initial problem, and certainly doing that while moving brought an element of impossibility of getting it to work. I found that sitting down with the camera in my lap worked quite well in the end.

plbramham wrote:As you correctly say being in the right place at the right time is an element of luck, but reacting to it and getting the image, has to become instinct.

I totally agree. I think much of the essence of photography is instinct; knowing your gear inside out, the subject matter and its surroundings.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:47 pm

See above added image Chris - think I edited and posted it after your reply? Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:50 pm

That's a great shot Paul, just what I am talking about. All the elements seem to working here although I do find the lefthand foreground element just a tad too distracting; the subject himself has been captured perfectly! ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Previous

Return to King's Own Royal Border Regiment (1959-2006)