1 Border in Goettingen in 1957

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

Re: 1 Border in Goettingen in 1957

Postby MichaelR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Afraid I don't know any of the guys in the pictures, some MT drivers didn't move to Berlin with the Battalion from Goettingen as they went on demob, when the battalion got to Berlin the MT section was brought up to strength with some new drivers, I was one of them.
Michael.
MichaelR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby BerlinBrian » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi All
My father was in Göttingen before going to Berlin in 1959 were i was born,does anyone know a Edward (Ted) Howard
Brian In Germany
BerlinBrian
Private
Private

Postby macko799 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:49 am

im trying to find anyone who know my dad who was in the border regiment pte terry maxwell from liverpool
i am try to get hold of any pics of him in the army
macko799
Private
Private

Postby johnglen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi
The chap sitting on the Hay Boxes and on the left by the truck is L/Cpl George Glendinning from Alston.
George passed away 5 years ago but his friend who went on to Berlin Mansel Elliott also from Alston is still alive, 75 years young.

Best wishes John Glendinning Ex KOSB
johnglen
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:12 pm

johnglen wrote:Hi
The chap sitting on the Hay Boxes and on the left by the truck is L/Cpl George Glendinning from Alston.
George passed away 5 years ago but his friend who went on to Berlin Mansel Elliott also from Alston is still alive, 75 years young.

Best wishes John Glendinning Ex KOSB

Can you tell us anything about these chaps John? Welcome to the forum by the way ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am

John, is Mansel Elliott in any of the photos? You can add comments to the photos, which would be of great help.
Ian Thirlwell
IanT
Major
Major

Postby johnglen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi
They were both National Service men George was a year older so Mansel went onto Berlin. I looked on the net previously for photos and after speaking to Mansel a couple of weeks ago I did a Google image search and saw George sitting on the Hay box and visited the site. I will show Mansel the web-site to see if he can name any more for you.

Congratulations on the site it is very well laid out, members can go straight to their era of service. I have been asked by Georges widow if I can print her the photos I hope this is ok.

Regards John
johnglen
Private
Private

Postby IanT » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi John, no problem if you want to print my photos. It's great that they can go to someone who is connected. If you need a better (ie larger, less compressed) version I can provide it.
Regards,
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:58 pm

johnglen wrote:Congratulations on the site it is very well laid out, members can go straight to their era of service.

Thanks John, appreciate it ;-)

I am always open to suggestions on how to make things better. The forum is successful because of the excellent members we have here.

Do keep us posted if Mansel can name a few more men.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby johnglen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi

I showed Mansel the photos and he recognised the following:

PICTURE:
1. Chris Thirwell, said he lived in Nenthead.
8. L/Cpl George Glendinning
10. L/Cpl Potts.
12. Sgt Cresswell, on the right CSM Freddy Marsh.
16. On left L/Cpl George Glendinning next (buff order) L/Cpl Potts
soldier with blonde hair and cup is L/Cpl Clark (gave platoon commander a hard time), soldier with bottle is Darkings he has arm over Jonnie Hughes.

Regards John
johnglen
Private
Private

PreviousNext

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)