1 Border in Goettingen in 1957

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

Re: 1 Border in Goettingen in 1957

Postby IanT » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks John, & pass my thanks on to Mansel. I presume you meant photo 11 for Potts not 10. I've added comments to the photos.
Interesting that Mansel mentioned Nenthead. His family actually lived there some time before he enlisted & had moved to Alston and then Bowness on Solway by the time he joined up.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby johnglen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Mansel and George were both actually from Nenthead, he remembers your dad well I thought he said he was living in Nenthead when he was a C/Sgt. He would have known my dad also from Nenthead and The Border Regiment 1939-45 Burma.

I’m sure he said L/Cpl Potts is in the centre of photo 10 not 11?
johnglen
Private
Private

Postby IanT » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:02 pm

The first ref to L/Cpl Potts didn't mention the group so I thought it meant the photo with the single soldier (not the Glendinning one). I did wonder afterwards as the second ref to him, in photo 16, didn't look like the same person.
The family were in Nenthead in the early 30s (possibly from late 20s) and were in Church Lane and up at Greenends. It was mostly Dad's mother's family, Hutchinson. By 1932 the Thirlwells were in Alston, in Fairhill Cottages & eventually in Bowness, at West Mead. That was Dad's address when he joined up in 1936.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby johnglen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Sorry for that Ian, I was talking to Mansel today and he is getting a laptop so hopefully you’ll be hearing from him direct, with tales of that era.
johnglen
Private
Private

Previous

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)