1 Border in Berlin 1958

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

Re: 1 Border in Berlin 1958

Postby kerchi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:47 am

IanT wrote:Chris, I'm not sure what the awards were for, possibly an athletics competition. I hoped someone may recognise the shield, or even remember the occasion if they were there.

In case you hadn't seen MichaelR's Berlin photos, the shield is shown here. If it wasn't for Michael reminding me about his Berlin photos I wouldn't have looked.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am

I had seen the photos a while back but forgot about this one.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:13 pm

I had seen the photos a while back but forgot about this one.

That's because Michael only uploaded it a couple of weeks ago (according to the image's upload date) so it wasn't there when you looked last, only just realised that myself.

I thought I'd have a look to see if I could find some photos similar to these online but it has turned out to be nigh on impossible as they just don't seem to exist, or if they do they aren't digitised and tend to be in personal family collections like yours. We are very lucky to have yours and Michael's photos here, just a shame more people with similar photos (or older) haven't yet found the forum and maybe thought about sharing them.
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby MichaelR » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:19 am

Nice to see that my photos have helped a little with the shield query, I have a feeling that the shield may be in the Border Regt museum at Carlisle Castle.
Michael.
MichaelR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby kerchi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

I think the shield is at the museum. I was there last April to hand over a few Border Regiment medals and swagger stick that I had bought on ebay (better at the museum than at home) and had a look round after I had spoken to both Stuart Eastwood and Tony Goddard. There is so much to see there so I can't remember for definite but I am sure the shield is there.
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:58 am

kerchi wrote:
That's because Michael only uploaded it a couple of weeks ago (according to the image's upload date) so it wasn't there when you looked last, only just realised that myself.

No wonder I didn't remember it :-)

Regarding seeing the scores, yes I have a much larger version of the photo here. The negatives are scanned on a dedicated film scanner at 4000 dpi. Because the negative images are so small (35mm film) each scanned image is only <6000 pixels wide. It still gives me plenty to play with for cleaning up and creating smaller jpegs as needed.

Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 pm

6000 pixels wide is huge. When I use my DSLR (on the better quality setting) the photos come out at 4288x2848 pixels; at that size there is a lot of detail so your images will definitely given you plenty of room to get in close and make touch-ups if needed although I still think they look superb as they are with all the imperfections.
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks to MichaelR for the following image:

Arroy Parade Berlin 1958.jpg
Arroyo Day Parade in Berlin, 1958
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 pm

That photo is in my gallery, among the set I uploaded a couple of years ago! (I just noticed that the upload dates for the gallery photos are not the original upload dates)
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm

So it is, the exact same photo, how odd! :-\

(I just noticed that the upload dates for the gallery photos are not the original upload dates)

That will be because of the problem we had moving the images over from the old site. The date stamp will be when the images were effectively added into the new gallery. Nightmare is an understatement and I was lucky enough not to have that particular task but a friend from work. I'm just glad the images are all there (even if there might be some duplicates along the way ::) )
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)