1 Border in Berlin 1958

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

Re: 1 Border in Berlin 1958

Postby IanT » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:04 pm

MichaelR wrote:Ian, I was with the 1st Battalion in Berlin (HQ MT section), at the time your pictures were taken, all the the Battalion Companys had a inter company competion called a "March and Shoot" which was a route march from barracks finishing up at the rifle range at Ruhlben Spandau, then live target firing took place to score points, I think the time taken on the route march was added to the target scores and the Company with a top score won the shield,I think your pictures may be of this competion.
I recognise some faces but it's a long time ago the names have gone, but nice to see the pictures.
Michael.

Michael,
I was very interested in the photo you put in the gallery of the HQ MT Section at Wavell Barracks. It's the one with the five lines of vehicles lined up fan-shaped. I have a copy of the self same photo, though without the Spandau badge and writing on it. The chap leaning against the lead vehicle, in the second column from the right is my dad, "Chris" Thirlwell.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby MichaelR » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Ian, I remember Colour Sergeant Thirlwell, the officer leaning on the centre lead vehicle is Capt Elliot MTO.
The wording and Spandau badge I did with a photo editor on the computer.
Michael.
MichaelR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby IanT » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Wow! We were in Berlin from about October 1957 to February '59, living in married quarters just off Heerstrasse in Scottweg, Charlottenburg. I was only there during school holidays though.
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:43 pm

The chap leaning against the lead vehicle, in the second column from the right is my dad, "Chris" Thirlwell.

That must make you feel very proud to see your dad in this photo. It's great to see two different people from different generations reminiscing about this particular time and place with the same or similar memories.

Great work on the photo editing Michael. ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby macko799 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 am

im trying to find anyone who know my dad who was in the border regiment pte terry maxwell from liverpool
i am try to get hold of any pics of him in the army i know he was in berlin
macko799
Private
Private

Postby IanT » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:31 am

Have you checked out the photos on the site here to see if he is in any of them?
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby MichaelR » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi.
It might help if you know the company your Dad was in with the battalion, the more info you can give may help to jog someone's memory.
MichaelR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby dahoward » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure what Company he was in, but i do know he was one of the C/Sgts in the Colour party for the Queens Birthday Parade Berlin 1958. Also the names of some of his mates - Sgt Cresswell , Ken Challenger, Hookey Walker (Baby Sitter in Chief), Sid Eggie, spring to mind.
Hope that helps & thanks.
Adrian
dahoward
Private
Private

Postby IanT » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:11 pm

HI Adrian, I certainly remember Sgt Cresswell. My Dad was a C/Sgt & the Cresswells were family friends. He is standing on the left in this photo from Gottingen in 1957:
gallery/image.php?album_id=146&image_id=8034
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby dahoward » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:22 am

Hello Ian,
Thanks for that, I Remember Gottingen, we were in married quarters there, I was 5 or 6 at the time, as I recall we Were'nt there very long before we moved to Berlin, our Quarter was on Dickensweg, walk to the end turn left & straight up to the.
Olympic Stadium if memory serves.
Adrian
dahoward
Private
Private

PreviousNext

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)