1 Border in Berlin 1958

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

Re: 1 Border in Berlin 1958

Postby IanT » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:44 am

Adrian, we must have been there at the same time. I was at boarding school during term time, King Alfred School, Ploen, Schleswig Holstein. When we first went to Gottingen, in January 1957, we were in a house on Am Kirschberg, just down from the barracks. Soon we were moved into the married quarters inside the camp. The area has changed emormously since then.
There was British primary school on Dickensweg, & the main road into the centre of Berlin, the Heerstrasse, was close by. We had the use of an outdoor swimming pool by the Olympic stadium & there were various events in the stadium. I remember the Berlin police show, for example. You can still see the married quarters etc on Google StreetView, though it looks as if a few more blocks have been built.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby dahoward » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:10 am

Ian
Yes I went to that primary School , & as for the outdoor pool, there were 2 ways to get there, 1 was through an RMP checkpoint, the other took you through a russian / East German one, if you used that one always have some goodies with you.
Adrian
dahoward
Private
Private

Postby IanT » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:21 am

I still have my id card from those days. I don't remember a Russian/East German checkpoint to get to the stadium. Not sure why there would be one as it was well inside West Berlin. There was a Russian guard at the Russian war memorial that was somewhere down towards the Brandenburg gate but in the West. Otherwise they were all at the borders.
My sister Pat went to the primary school.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby MichaelR » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:17 pm

dahoward wrote:Hello,
I'm not sure what Company he was in, but i do know he was one of the C/Sgts in the Colour party for the Queens Birthday Parade Berlin 1958. Also the names of some of his mates - Sgt Cresswell , Ken Challenger, Hookey Walker (Baby Sitter in Chief), Sid Eggie, spring to mind.
Hope that helps & thanks.
Adrian

Now those are names that bring back memories when I was with the Border Regiment in Berlin 1957/59
Sgt Heggie was my sergeant on the MT, and Sgt Hooky Walker and Cresswell I remember well from the following episode.
I was on a three day winter exercise in the Grundewald forest in Berlin driving for an S company officer, one night I was called from my bivy tent by the officer who was a bit worse for wear having got at the winter exercise rum ration, told me to get the 4x4 jeep as we were going on a night raid, Sgt Hooky walker was trying to stop him but the officer wasn’t for listening, he fixed a bren gun onto the vehicle and with Sgt Walker aboard we set off into the forest.
The officer wouldn’t let me have the headlights on and was firing blank rounds all over the place; every time the Bren got a stoppage he just chucked the offending part into the forest, after some time Sgt Walker got the officer calmed down and we made back to the main camp where we found that most of the Bren was missing.
Sgt Cresswell was waiting he got the officer back to his tent and then asked me if I could back track where we had been and try and find the missing Bren parts, the rest of the night with Sgt Walker we drove around and did find all of the missing parts of the Bren it was getting light when we got back to the camp.
I was given a well done by Sgt Cresswell and he told me to get my head down in his Bivvy the next thing I knew was being wakened up by Sgt Cresswell and told to go for my dinner
I didn’t give much thought at the time but if we hadn’t found the Bren parts I suppose it would have been a serious matter.
MichaelR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby dahoward » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

The names & dates are right, I don't suppose you remember a tall Sgt- C/Sgt 6'2'' - 6'3'' Prematurely bald with glasses, Possibly the Armoury Sgt Slim as a snake with creases so sharp they'd cut you if you weren't careful, if so, that was my Dad
dahoward
Private
Private

Postby IanT » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:02 pm

I've just added to my gallery the following photo of a couple of Border Regt Colour Sergeants in Berlin 1958. Can anyone identify them?
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)