Border Regiment - Carlisle Castle 1957

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

Border Regiment - Carlisle Castle 1957

Postby kerchi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 pm

MichaelR very kindly passed a few photos on to me for adding to the forum. In his words: if you can use the attached pictures on the Forum please feel free to do so, my friend sent me the pictures but I know that some came from a friend of his, this is a result of old soldiers getting in touch after a lot of years and swapping photos of their time together with the Regiment.

I bet there are some great stories to tell!! Maybe, Michael, you wouldn't mind telling us one or two of your stories or even let your old pals know about the forum. I would very much like to hear of the old times, maybe a funny story or even times of hardships, training and travelling abroad.

Carlisle Castle COs Inspection 1957.jpg
Carlisle Castle COs Inspection, 1957
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Border Regiment - Carlisle Castle 1957

Postby dahoward » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:39 am

Hello Kerchi & MichaelR
Gottim, The Sgt Behind the CO on this photo is my Dad, Then Sgt later C/Sgt David Alfred Howard. If anybody out there has any more please please post them. For General info he would have been 26 when this was taken, Sadly he was killed in an RTA in January 1960 on the Carlisle - Aspatria Road Aged 29, He was then serving as a PSI to the 4th Battallion Working from Cockermouth Drill Hall.I was 8 when it happened, the eldest of 4, My baby brother Phillip was still in his pram having been born on 30th December 1958 in Berlin.
I'm so pleased to have found this now I can show My Grandkids their Great Grandad, something I was beginning to think I,d never be able to do.

Many Many Thanks,
Adrian
dahoward
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:44 pm

dahoward wrote:I'm so pleased to have found this now I can show My Grandkids their Great Grandad, something I was beginning to think I,d never be able to do.

Many Many Thanks,

All the thanks go to Michael and especially his friend from whom this picture came from. It is a great photo and I wish there were more of them here for others to see.

Anyway, I am glad you managed to get a photo of your dad to pass on and show your family.

I received your email via the forum but have only just got round to looking at it today as things are a bit crazy for me at the moment what with preparing for moving this Friday and decorating in the new place at the same time.....madness!! :|o I am happy to hear you will be returning regularly to the forum and I do hope other photos of your dad turn up at some point so fingers crossed ;-)

If you have any memories or stories about your dad whilst in the Border Regiment that you don't mind sharing with us then please do add a post or two; I always find these stories interesting to read.

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby MichaelR » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Hello.
I have just added in my Gallery, two out of training Group pictures at Carlisle Castle 1957-58.

Michael.
MichaelR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)