1948 British Somaliland

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

1948 British Somaliland

Postby plbramham » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:23 pm

There is currently an envelope on e-bay sent in 1948 from Hargeisa, British Somaliland from Major Paul Hopkinson who commanded the only Indian Parachute Battalion against the Japanese at the River Chindwin. He had been in the Indian Army but joined the Border Regiment in 1947. The parachute regiment and airborne forces website PARADATA has a page on his life. Go to:
http://www.paradata.org.uk/people/paul-hopkinson
I find this of special interest because I suspect he may be related to 4th Border D Company commander Major John Hopkinson who was badly wounded at Incheville on the Dunkirk rearguard ( see my WW2 posting for Incheville), and as such was the only member of the company to return to England, the rest being captured or killed. John’s son, Michael Hopkinson, is one of our group “The Border Regiment (Kendal) Memorial Fund” who are producing a roll of honour for the regimental chapel in Kendal parish church. (I've informed him about the envelope!)
plbramham
General
General

Re: 1948 British Somaliland

Postby plbramham » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:32 am

Had reply from his son- John Hopkinson (Incheville commander) was brother of Paul Hopkinson (Indian paras & Border Rgt Somaliland)
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am

It fetched £63.69 - just the envelope, no letter or enclosures. Better check before putting anything in your paper recycling bin!
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:10 pm

plbramham wrote:.......I find this of special interest because I suspect he may be related to 4th Border D Company commander Major John Hopkinson who was badly wounded at Incheville on the Dunkirk rearguard ( see my WW2 posting for Incheville), and as such was the only member of the company to return to England, the rest being captured or killed. John’s son, Michael Hopkinson, is one of our group “The Border Regiment (Kendal) Memorial Fund” who are producing a roll of honour for the regimental chapel in Kendal parish church. (I've informed him about the envelope!)

I like the way you find all these possible (and actual) connections between events and people from other units and the Border Regiment, you must spend hours reading through your archive of documents Paul.....and have a good memory to boot to remember what you have already been through!!

£63 for an envelope!! Crikey :|o
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)