1956 Queen's visit to Appleby

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

1956 Queen's visit to Appleby

Postby plbramham » Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 pm

The Queen inspecting The Border Regiment on her arrival in Appleby in 1956 before a visit which included Kendal and the Lakes.
Attachments
Queen appleby 1956.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: 1956 Queen's visit to Appleby

Postby kerchi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Ah, I know the street well, Boroughgate. Just behind the lads is the Tufton Arms where my granddad enjoyed a pint or two and on the left hand side behind the officer's cap is the White House where my grandmother used to clean. I used to play in that house as a child and I remember the huge meat hooks on the ceiling in the kitchen.

Typical rainy day though but the queen looks happy enough, especially as the lads look on fine form!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am

How brilliant, I live three miles from Appleby and have grown up in the spot. What a great picture!
THANKS FOR SHARING!!!
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Paul,

lovely photo, thanks for sharing it with us,
Kind regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 pm

BorderRegiment3095 wrote:How brilliant, I live three miles from Appleby and have grown up in the spot. What a great picture!
THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

I think Appleby is a beautiful place and I am sure a few things have changed over the years but my memories from childhood of High Weind, Holme Street, Chapel Street and Doomgate plus Holme Wood, the swimming pool (open air when I was much younger), the cricket field and the beautiful River Eden. You are lucky to be living in such a lovely part of the country.

Which village are you located, if you don't mind me asking? They are all lovely, especially if you have views of the Pennines.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:08 pm

Not really part of this topic so sorry for going off-topic a little but I love these photos of Appleby from different periods. The first photo at least shows where the Queen was inspecting the lads, just before Moot Hall where the cars are parked.

Boroughgate leading to Appleby Castle.jpg
Boroughgate leading to Appleby Castle

View from Appleby Bridge.jpg
River Eden from Appleby bridge

River Eden flowing through Appleby.jpg
River Eden and Horses

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:38 pm

On a slighly darker note for Appleby, it was where I covered my first murder a few months after I started work as a press photographer as a 17 year old. The victim was an old tailor called Salkeld who died in his shop which was on the opposite side of the road behind the fir tree to the right of the bridge on the bottom postcard. No one was ever chargeed with the murder. Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:07 pm

I know the street well, although it looked slightly different when I was younger. The name Salkeld rings a bell; I think I have Salkeld in my family tree.

Do you have any photos of Appleby you can share with us from your press photography days? Would like to see any if you have them :-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 am

Hi

WOW! Very interesting, I live on the outskirts of Appleby and think its a fantastic place! I love the old photographs. What a good subject!

Thanks

B.E
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)