1947 granting of the Freedom of Kendal

Topics about the Regiment after the Second World War up to the amalgamation in 1959.

1947 granting of the Freedom of Kendal

Postby plbramham » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:24 pm

The Border Regiment were awarded the Freedom of the Borough of Kendal in October 1947, where they are pictured during the ceremony marching past the Town Hall with the Mayor Walter Wilkinson outside. Note the Arroyo drummers in front of him.
Attachments
0001 freedom kendal 1947_edited-2.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: 1947 granting of the Freedom of Kendal

Postby kerchi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 pm

This was a big turnout and a big deal by the looks of it. Great to see the Arroyo drummers.

Without sounding stupid (too late for that maybe) but what was the reason for being awarded it?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:32 am

I don't actually know if it was specifically for one thing, but I think it was highly likely that it was finally granted because the town's entire 1939 Territorial contingent - "D" Company 4th Border were either killed or spent the entire war as PoWs after fighting on the Dunkirk rearguard in May 1940 at Incheville, enabling the retreat of the 51st Highland Division. (see other Incheville posting by myself and Jerico). Later in WW2 4th Btn Kendal men fought and died at Tobruk,and Burma. ( Plus of course those fighting and serving in theatres and with other Btns. of the regiment). So, this could be to honour the slightly earlier return of the PoWs. Maybe it was not until 1947 that the regiment returned from their 1945 posting in Norway?
I guess it also harped back to the town's traditional links with the Border Regiment from the Victorian Volunteer Btn, to the massive First World War losses, especially in the 8th Btn. (Kendal Pals).
You're right about the turnout, the only time there was anything like that recently was for the Duke of Lanc Freedom March through the town in April 2011 when excercising their right of the freedom granted to their predessors , The Border Regt.
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am

I guess then it could be any of those reasons, each just as important as the other and it could be a culmination of the effects of both First and Second World Wars. Whatever the reason it is great to see the men of the regiment in marching form and the people of Kendal supporting them.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:54 pm

The Border Regiment Magazine has a long article about the freedom of Carlisle and Kendal granted to the regiment. It includes a photo, originally from the Westmorland Gazette, taken, I think, a short while after the one above. Also a photo of the Carlisle title deed presented to the Regiment:
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby plbramham » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:27 am

Actually Ian, this document is the granting of the freedom of Carlisle, not Kendal, . Easy mistake as they happened about the same time. Do you have an image from the magazine of the Kendal document? , Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby IanT » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 am

Oops, I missed that. It accompanies the article about the freedom of Kendal AND Carlisle!! I've edited the message and re-uploaded the image (and the Kendal one) to the Ephemera album having straightened them in Photoshop. Here is the photo of the Kendal one.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Return to Post-WW2 (1945-1959)