I have a good question here ?

The place to discuss other units not related to the Border Regiment.

I have a good question here ?

Postby mrdeacon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Looking through some of my recent headstone photos, i noticed this headstone from Cartmel Extension cemetery.
It is a family headstone of a Robert Priestman.

Robert was born 1890 in Barrow-in-Furness,
His mother and father were John and Elizabeth also from Barrow, but they died in Cartmel.

What it says about Robert is -

Robert Priestman.
Who died at St. Blasien, April 19th 1923.
Aged 33.
After serving in the Great war 1914-1918.

So my question is - do you think he was still in service.
And how can i find out if he was.
Attachments
Priestman 1923.jpg
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: I have a good question here ?

Postby kerchi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:57 am

It's possible if he was one of those stayed in service. Was he a regular? If so he would had to stay until his term had ended. Volunteers and conscripts went through a different process mentioned here: demobilisation and discharge on the Long, Long Trail website, which you might have seen already.

His service records would state when or if he was discharged. Did a soldier's pay book list this as well?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Which " Cartmel" do you mean? ( near Grange/Meathop?) There are several in Cumbria, don't know about elsewhere?
Could be a really interesting project , maybe google St, Blasin - very quick check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankt_Blasien
Maybe a result of PoW illness? I'm starting to think maybe 5th Bn who were in Cologne post WW1? Not still there around until 1923 though, even allowing time for him to brought home. 1919 is my last record, Maybe he was 2nd Bn regular
Just guesses though,
Very interesting project!
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:36 pm

This is going to be a fun project for you Mike. I think it will be a challenge to narrow this down without knowing first if he was actually still in service at the time of his death and not just "visiting" the area as a civvie. Paul has made a couple of good suggestions but I wouldn't want to commit myself to anything unless I knew his service status. Can you search for his records?

It took time for the army to leave the European continent when the war ended; it took months to get everyone home, endless paperwork to do and imagine transporting everything back. A lengthy process. Unless he was a regular he would surely have been home by 1923. Where were the 1st and 2nd Battalions that year?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Just check this for 1st & 2nd regular locations, Would seem to me he was 2nd Bn? Paul
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=1808
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrdeacon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 pm

I do give myself some headaches why do i do it ::)

Unfortunately as usual there are no service records.
Looking at the MIC's there are only 2 for Robert Priestman.
One was for a Royal Engineer and was discharged in 1916 he has a SWB.
The other was a Middlesex reg, and Gordon Highlanders this one went the distance, so i am more than likely thinking this is the one ?.
I have emailed the tourist information of St.Blasien, Germany. To see if they can help.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:02 pm

mrdeacon wrote:I do give myself some headaches why do i do it ::)
........I have emailed the tourist information of St.Blasien, Germany. To see if they can help.

Are you punishing yourself for something!! ;-)

Do keep us posted. I'd like to know how this one turns out.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Surely if he died overseas (Germany 1923) he must have been seriously wounded and could not be brought home, or maybe just simply chose to stay there?
No evidence of these , just my quick thoughts/ideas, Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Somebody has sent off for his death certificate for me, will let you know if we receive it.

Mike
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mrdeacon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 pm

I have just received an email, and unfortunately there is no death registry for Robert in 1923 at St.Blasien.

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Non Border Regiment Units