Border buttons

A place for various different forms of insignia used by the Regiment.

Border buttons

Postby plbramham » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Many people collect cap badges, but what about buttons?
We all know the standard Dragon and "China" type (and perhaps the rarer Dragon only variety with no "China" honour as issued to the 3rd & 4th Btns) , but on recently adding a new example to my collection, I thought members might like to see some more unusual ones.
- You can probably guess by my earlier letterhead crests posting that I like more obscure items relating to the regiment ! , Paul
Attachments
01 mess button.jpg
Victorian officer's mess waistcoat button (1.5 cm diam)
01 mess button.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
01 2ndBtn.jpg
2nd Btn Mess button c.1935 (1.5 cm diam.)
01 1st Btn.jpg
1st Btn mess button c.1926 (2cm diam.)
001 militia button.jpg
Victorian Militia collar button Note no "China" (actually a collar badge with two rear lugs)
001 militia button.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
plbramham
General
General

Re: Border buttons

Postby kerchi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:44 pm

What other buttons have you got? I can see from your posts that you do seem to have quite a collection of Border Regiment memorabilia (of all sorts); by the sounds of it you have a great collection - a mini-museum yourself, it must have cost a pretty penny over the years (but definitely worth it). I hope you have got them insured Paul!!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:47 pm

plbramham wrote:Many people collect cap badges, but what about buttons?

For me, I always prefer photos. Photos or photo albums are my favourites but when I try to find any BR related on ebay there never seems to be any around :-(
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:54 pm

kerchi wrote:What other buttons have you got? I can see from your posts that you do seem to have quite a collection of Border Regiment memorabilia (of all sorts); by the sounds of it you have a great collection - a mini-museum yourself, it must have cost a pretty penny over the years (but definitely worth it). I hope you have got them insured Paul!!

Not cost a lot really, it's over many years . My trick is to keep my eyes open and buy cheap. I'm also a great believer in swapping, Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 pm

plbramham wrote: Not cost a lot really, it's over many years . My trick is to keep my eyes open and buy cheap. I'm also a great believer in swapping, Paul

Living on the south coast there isn't much in the way of Border Regiment memorabilia around here but there is plenty of Royal Sussex Regiment. I like your philosophy though Paul, that works for me, just not sure about the the swapping part :-\

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 am

kerchi wrote:[. Photos or photo albums are my favourites but when I try to find any BR related on ebay there never seems to be any around :-(

In the past I found a cheaper source of Border items -America! Even with postage, the prices tend to be about a third that of the UK.
A lot of British stuff - from furniture to corkscrews, went over in the 1970s when antique dealers were buying up joblots and house clearances of everything English and shipping them over in containers.
For some time I had been trying to find an original 4th Btn cap badge at a reasonable price ( Obviously around Kendal they are highly sought after and thus expensive). I got a genuine one from Massachusetts for the same price ( even with post) that I would have expected to pay for a modern restrike from a UK dealer on ebay. I have bought four items from the US and found delivery times to be as good as, or even better than some UK sources. The US sellers seem to give excellent communication and customer service. Maybe I have been fortunate, but the 4th badge seller actually to seemed quite excited and enthusiastic that he was returning it to it's place of origin!
I know some people may be dubious about overseas purchases, but when you think about it realistically, if you ordered something from say Glasgow or London, and it turned out not be be what you expected, it wouldn't really be practical to travel across the UK to go and sit on their doorstep!
Just one thing to watch for, which I was aware of having family in Texas, is that "Border Regiment" in America can refer to US soldiers on the Mexican border!, Regards, Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Border buttons

Postby plbramham » Thu May 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Three more button types
Attachments
gilt mess waiters tunic button 1930s.jpg
Gilt mess waiter’s tunic button 1930s
3rd or 4th TA button no CHINA.jpg
Button used by 3rd Btn. or 4th (TA) – no “CHINA”
brass button standard.jpg
Standard brass button. Design continued in use by KORBR in staybrite issue
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:26 am

Victorian militia officer’s dress uniform silvered shoulder board screw back button & backing plate
Attachments
00 Victorian militia officers dress shoulder button.jpg
Victorian militia officer’s dress shoulder button
00 Victorian militia officers dress shoulder button.jpg (97.22 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:08 am

Paul, what is the difference between Jennens and Co. and JR Gaunt? These are two names that I have seen in auctions buttons very similar to the 'China' buttons.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:55 pm

kerchi wrote:Paul, what is the difference between Jennens and Co. and JR Gaunt? These are two names that I have seen in auctions buttons very similar to the 'China' buttons.

They are just the names of two different suppliers of military badges, buttons etc. You'll find them on all kinds of items that the government put out to contract with private manufacturers. "Gaunt" is probably the biggest producer and most familiar one.The War Office and MoD have never had their own factories for these items, likewise medals etc are all produced by private contractors. Paul
plbramham
General
General

Next

Return to Badges, pins and stripes