Sweetheart broaches & lapel badges

A place for various different forms of insignia used by the Regiment.

Sweetheart broaches & lapel badges

Postby plbramham » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:37 pm

To dispel the myth, despite what traders may tell you to hike up the price with sentiments about pining wives & girlfriends, “sweetheart broaches” were also worn by mothers, sisters etc. , generally to show that they had a family member serving than in the forces rather than in remembrance of a casualty. The term is often incorrectly applied to lapel badges, as worn by veterans.
A common type found is the collar badge adapted with a broach fitting. ( I haven't bothered to attach a photo because they just look like a standard collar badge, unless coloured with enamel) Sometimes you find the full size cap badges altered in this way, but they are a little large for the purpose.
Four usual varieties, common to all services, are: mother of pearl with silver rim, tortoiseshell with silver rim, machine turned enamel, and enamelled brass. There are also examples featuring horse shoes, some made from buttons, homemade “trench art” type pieces, plus other individually made bespoke items. (The latter can naturally be expensive, especially jewellers examples in gold/silver and set with precious stones)
I’ve found a good source to pick up standard examples cheaply is to grovel in button boxes and sewing tins at market stalls and car boots. My best buy for an enamelled brass badge was just £1.50 (last year) Incidentally, most seem to be chipped or have minor damage, perhaps because they were cheaply produced and were worn on everyday clothing?
Anyone else got any other varieties?
Attachments
badge sweet bronze.jpg
Unusual “bespoke” piece. A bronze officer’s cap badge with “arms” filled with red enamel (you can just feel the battle honours beneath.) Has both broach and pendant fittings to rear
badge sweet tortoise.jpg
Tortoiseshell with silver rim hallmarked 1917
badge sweet enamel.jpg
Machine turned enamel, silver hallmark 1917
badge sweet mother of p.jpg
Mother of pearl in fitting hallmarked “silver”
badge sweet vol terr.jpg
Enamelled brass, probably volunteer/territorial battalion as no battle honours on the arms of the cross. Not 3rd Btn. as it has "Arroyo" on circlet)
badge sweet brass.jpg
Enamelled brass badge
plbramham
General
General

Re: Sweetheart broaches & lapel badges

Postby plbramham » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:13 am

Examples of the same brass badge with different finishes - one silvered, the other gilded, and with different enamel colour schemes. ( I guess the enamelling was the choice of the manufacturer, but I wonder why they didn't use the obvious regimental colours: purple, green, and yellow? - maybe they thought green leaves and dark blue were near enough I guess!)
Attachments
2 badges.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:05 am

Gilt & enamel on brass sweetheart badge.
Attachments
0 brass gilt enamel broach.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 am

Silver WW1 period sweetheart broach for 4th or 5th territorial battalions (no battle honours on arms of cross)
Attachments
0 ww1 silver broach.jpg
Silver WW1 period sweetheart broach for 4th or 5th territorial battalions (no battle honours on arms of cross)
plbramham
General
General

Return to Badges, pins and stripes