Border Regiment shoulder titles

A place for various different forms of insignia used by the Regiment.

Border Regiment shoulder titles

Postby plbramham » Thu May 03, 2012 6:27 pm

The brass “Border” title is probably the most familiar type– and very hard to date as it was issued for a long time, but it’s the WW2 cloth badges which are rare and can be very valuable. A pair of titles with yellow lettering on green with purple edging has just sold for £360! & the black on green which were only issued for about a year are even rarer. I guess, like the economy WW2 plastic cap badge, cloth titles were not valued and just got thrown away or wore out.
Attachments
shoulder brass.jpg
Brass shoulder title
shoulder T4.jpg
Brass title T4 - 4th Btn.Territorials
shoulder ww2.jpg
WW2 woven cloth title
shoulder ww2 print.jpg
WW2 printed cloth title
shoulder post 45.jpg
Post WW2 printed cloth title
korbr 1959 64.jpg
First type KORBR issued 1959-1964
plbramham
General
General

WW2 badge (copy)

Postby plbramham » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 pm

A replica of the rare WW2 cloth badge with yellow stitching on green and purple background
Attachments
1 WW2 cloth.jpg
Rare WW2 badge (copy)
plbramham
General
General

Re: Border Regiment shoulder titles

Postby mrhasto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 pm

I have my Great Uncle's shoulder titles does anyone know if they are worth anything?
Attachments
photo (2).jpg
mrhasto
Private
Private

Postby plbramham » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:09 pm

mrhasto wrote:I have my Great Uncle's shoulder titles does anyone know if they are worth anything?

My God Yes they are!!!!

I've seen the scare yellow lettering on green with purple background type sell for over £100,and a pair sold for £360. However, the black on khaki are exceptionally rare as they were only issued for a very brief period. I've only ever seen one for sale, and I forget how much that fetched. For a pair you must be looking at several £100s!

Cloth badges simply do not survive because they rot/fray/wear, or people just throw them away thinking "It's just a scrap of material". I guess unlike a bit of brass or white metal they are just have not been valued as items.
( Good job I'm honest or I could have said " I'll give you £30 for the lot" and I bet you'd have been dead chuffed with that!)

Best Wishes (enviously!) Paul.

P.S. You will note from the posting above yours that I have settled for a copy of the yellow lettering on green with purple background type as I can't afford an original
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrhasto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks Paul for that. I don't suppose you could recommend a place to sell them where I would get a fair price or is ebay a good bet?
mrhasto
Private
Private

Postby plbramham » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:07 am

Hi,
It’s not really appropriate for me to recommend one particular dealer/auctioneer on this site as that’s getting into the realms of advertising, so I’ll PM or e-mail you with some suggestions.
Do you have a copy of a photo of your great uncle (preferably in uniform), which you could include with the items? Also include any details you know about him such as name, rank, serial number, battalion, where served, town where he lived, all of which would give provenance and add value.
If you use e-bay or sell them yourself, I’d strongly suggest you sell the yellow/green/purple badge as one item, and the khaki/black pair as a separate lot (include copy photo and details with both lots).
You may even consider splitting the pair into two separate lots – some collectors may be able to afford one, but not a pair so you may get more bidders. Also I’d strongly suggest that you don’t put them on the market at the same time. Maybe give it a month or so in between.
I’ll dig out some addresses and send them to you tomorrow,
Hope this helps – sorry I’m not in a position to bid myself
Regards, Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:06 am

mrhasto wrote:where I would get a fair price or is ebay a good bet?

A single shoulder title with yellow lettering on green/purple sold yesterday on ebay for £181.56 !!!
Was that you? Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 am

plbramham wrote:A single shoulder title with yellow lettering on green/purple sold yesterday on ebay for £181.56 !!!
Was that you? Paul

Wow! I certainly won't be getting one of those, no matter how much I'd like to :|
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:26 pm

kerchi wrote:
plbramham wrote:A single shoulder title with yellow lettering on green/purple sold yesterday on ebay for £181.56 !!!
Was that you? Paul

Wow! I certainly won't be getting one of those, no matter how much I'd like to :|

That's why I settled for a replica costing £5.99 ( see posting further above) and it's not a bad copy either! Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrhasto » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Yeah that was the one I had.

I would be grateful for any information regarding the slip on badges that I have. For example what dates were they issued etc. I have looked on the net and the only ones similar have curved writing.

Many thanks
mrhasto
Private
Private

Next

Return to Badges, pins and stripes