4th & 5th battalion badge replicas

A place for various different forms of insignia used by the Regiment.

4th & 5th battalion badge replicas

Postby plbramham » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Almost all 4th & 5th Btn. badges that you see on e-bay etc. will be replicas, copies, fakes, restrikes – call them what you wish - if they are cheap they will not be originals ( Unless you are very, very lucky!) As I have said before I actually don’t mind copies as long as they are honestly sold as such and not passed off as the real thing. Certainly in my collection there are restrikes and replicas where an original would be too expensive or difficult to find.

Some of the 4th & 5th replicas are pretty good, but there are usually some signs that give them away:
1) Their surface is usually perfectly flat, not very slightly curved like an original.
2) Most copies generally have lugs not sliders on the rear (but not always, I have seen some with sliders)
3) The usual big clue is the dimples on the star. On the originals these have sort of ”facets”, wheras the replicas are usually flat .It’s hard to explain, but see the photos and the difference will be obvious.

You will note my use of the terms “usually” or generally” in all of the above. I am sure there will be some top rate copies that do not have these giveaway signs.

Hope this is helpful. As always, if in doubt assume it is a copy and only pay an accordingly lower price, Paul.
Attachments
0 4th badges close.jpg
Close up detail to show “dimples” on a replica (left) and an original 4th Btn cap badge
0 4th replica left and original badges.jpg
A replica (left) and original 4th Btn cap badge. Note the crown on the original one is a bit bent, not smaller i.e. that is not a sign of an original - just minor damage to this particular one
0 4th original detail.jpg
Facetted dimples on an original badge
0 4th border replica detail.jpg
Flat topped dimples on a replica badge
plbramham
General
General

Re: 4th & 5th battalion badge replicas

Postby kerchi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Clear, concise and very helpful. Thanks Paul.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: 4th & 5th battalion badge replicas

Postby kerchi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Here's another photo showing the 'flat-topped' dimples of the 4th Battalion replica badge.

DSC_0673 copy.jpg
4th Battalion replica with the flat-topped dimples

DSC_0675 copy.jpg
And the reverse of the same badge
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Badges, pins and stripes