WW2 1st Batl Border Regiment Beret

A place for various different forms of insignia used by the Regiment.

WW2 1st Batl Border Regiment Beret

Postby RodShack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi there

Whilst I assumed that 1st Batl wore the maroon beret associated with Airborne troops, post '42, I was shown a green beret by a current serving forces friend who has an avid interest in the Borders, as he is ex KORBR.

The beret was apparently from a Border veteran and had the standard BR white metal cap badge. It's dated 1944, is a dark (almost racing) green colour, with a cloth headband.

My friend said he'd been told by the vet that after coming back from France in 1940 and losing a lot of uniform and equipment en-route, green berets were issued in lieu of side-caps. When 1st became airborne, the old hands retained the green beret as the sign of an "old salt", rather then wear the maroon beret.

With few colour photos around at the time, could this be true? I had just thought that Airborne troops would be glad to show off their new status as a new fighting arm.

After trawling the internet, I can't find anything to substantiate this claim of the green beret. Could it be true?

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Cheers

Rod
RodShack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: WW2 1st Batl Border Regiment Beret

Postby IanT » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 pm

I have a 1945 photo of Dad that looks like it was hand tinted & the beret is maroon not green.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Re: WW2 1st Batl Border Regiment Beret

Postby RodShack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks for your input Ian. :-)
Cheers

Rod
RodShack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal