Some Border Items

A place for various different forms of insignia used by the Regiment.

Some Border Items

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:53 am

Hi all,
I will start to upload a few of my Border items for your opinions on! Pictures will follow soon!!
Item include Swagger stick, ivory case etc
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Some Border Items

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi
Will start with this 4th Border Regiment Swagger stick!
Attachments
IMG_1815.JPG
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Then we have this Ivory Cig or Cheroot Holder due to the size, the initials are C.D.O.S I don't know if anyone knows any Border Man with these initials! Or if any one has further information I would appreciate!

Next is my paperwork, two red books for the Lonsdale Battalion Books and some Lonsdale pictures, border pictures etc!
IMG_1818.JPG
Ivory Case with initials!
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Photos pictures!
Attachments
IMG_1822.JPG
Photos
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Book Picture
Attachments
IMG_1823.JPG
Books
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Thu May 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Very nice stuff. I have a similar swagger cane, but just the standard crest not the (much rarer) 4th Bn version like yours.
An antique dealer in Kendal is currently trying to sell a "standard" cane for about £80 - makes you wonder what he'd be charging for your 4th Bn one with the Kendal territorial battalion connection?
I think you'll be having some other forum members drooling over the Lonsdale service records, but I rather like the ivory case - note that there are no battle honours on the arms of the cross perhaps suggesting it was 3rd Bn or for a volunteer unit ,(who had not been overseas to gain any honours!)
Mind you it has the Kings Crown which puts it after 1901,hence post Boer War when the volunteer battalions HAD been overseas. The territorial battalions( 4th & 5th ) were formed in 1905. They of course had their own crests with the 4 or 5 in the centre plus Boer War honours, so I reckon its for the 3rd (home service/Depot) battalion.
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi

Its curious isnt it, No doubt a very good quality item!!!
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 am

BorderRegiment3095 wrote:Ivory Cig or Cheroot Holder , the initials are C.D.O.S I don't know if anyone knows any Border Man with these initials!

The closest to a match that I have found in the WW1 army lists is a Lieut H.P.O.Sleigh of the 3rd Battalion in the 1914 & 1915 lists (Captain in the 1917 & 1918 lists) who has a commission date of 13th October 1906.
I'm guessing that your soldier was probably from the Edwardian period, but I suppose of course the item could date from the 1920s/1930s? - hard to tell age with ivory.
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

BorderRegiment3095 wrote:Then we have this Ivory Cig or Cheroot Holder due to the size, the initials are C.D.O.S I don't know if anyone knows any Border Man with these initials! Or if any one has further information I would appreciate!

You have some great items there Ben. I like the swagger stick, well who doesn't?, but to have one specific to a Battalion is even better. Where did you get this lucky find? I had a Border Regiment swagger stick with a cue ball attached but I donated it to the museum a few years ago....and like a fool I forgot to take some photos of it :|

Photos, of course, are probably some of the best items as they tell so many stories. I love looking at old b&w photos. Definitely keep those safe away from direct sunlight!!

I only have photocopies of "Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion Border Regt. (Lonsdale)", so while I know the contents of this book, to actually have an original copies makes you very fortunate indeed.

The ivory case is an interesting item. I was lucky enough to get hold of a ladies compact in pretty good condition, as seen below.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Badges, pins and stripes