Cap badge slider fittings

A place for various different forms of insignia used by the Regiment.

Cap badge slider fittings

Postby plbramham » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Ever wondered what stops cap badge rear “sliders” from “sliding” more when they are attached? I thought perhaps they located into a canvas or leather strip inside the front of the cap, but I’ve found a badge with its original curved backing plate into which the slider was located inside the cap - see photos.
Even without the thickness of the cap’s cloth in between it’s still a tight fit, so I guess the badge was pretty securely fastened.
I reckon this is why you sometimes find badges with the crown (neatly!) snapped off because the slider is attached immediately behind the base of the crown, so any rough removal of a stiff badge ( bending to & fro) would break it at the joint.
Paul.
Attachments
backing plate 2_edited-1.jpg
backing plate 1.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Return to Badges, pins and stripes