Charles Nicholls and 1st Battalion Rugby Team

Topics about the Regiment's earliest years from 1881.

Re: Charles Nicholls and 1st Battalion Rugby Team

Postby plbramham » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:21 pm

One of the regrets of my life is , many years ago, I had a "windfall" and had the chance of going to either Burma or Sri Lanka ( Having been to India before - I love India! Maybe I should get a time machine and enlist with 1st battalion 120 years ago!).
I chose Sri Lanka. Now I know the very strong Kendal connection with Burma in both world wars I wish I had gone there instead, especially Maymyo. My grandfather served in Burma WW2 (not Border Regiment) and ironically I was attached to "Burma Company" in both Northern Ireland and Bosnia
Guess I should have got a hint?!!
Cheers Paul
Just to "refresh" a previous posting, here's a Xmas card sent by 1/4th Border (territorials) from Burma in 1917
Attachments
4th Bn Border Regt  Burma XmasCard 1917.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: Charles Nicholls and 1st Battalion Rugby Team

Postby kerchi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Having never been to either I would be interested to go to both. I work with someone from Sri Lanka and have heard some interesting stories, especially of traditions such wedding ceremonies etc., and so seeing something like would be amazing. However, I agree in some respect, I would like to not exactly enlist with the 1st Borders 100+ years ago but certainly be a fly-on-some-fort-wall and see first hand what it must have been like for Charles Nicholls and the men posted there.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Previous

Return to The Early Years