Kendal Museum 1895 1st Bn muster roll

Topics about the Regiment's earliest years from 1881.

Kendal Museum 1895 1st Bn muster roll

Postby plbramham » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 pm

An interesting Kendal museum poster sized exhibit - a 1895 muster roll for First battalion The Border Regiment ( still referred to as 34th " thus Cumberland Regt") with all the names of the men on the "arms" of the cross ( note these copied with permission of the museum)
Regards Paul
Attachments
museum  1895 muster  roll.jpg
museum  top.jpg
museum right.jpg
Kendal museum poster 1895 1st Bn muster roll
museum   left.jpg
museum  bottom.jpg
museum   officer drawing.jpg
museum private  drawing.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: Kendal Museum 1895 1st Bn muster roll

Postby mrdeacon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Very nice Paul cheers for sharing. It looks like the museum is getting some good stuff I look forward to seeing more.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:22 am

What incredible detail. Do you know if this a unique poster or did other battalions from other units do something similar. Would be nice to know if it was unique to the Border Regiment only.

Thanks Paul (and the museum) for these photos.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:26 am

Just another curiosity but do you know when the 1st and 2nd Battalions stopped using the 34th and 55th Regts. titles in their posters, if at all? Maybe they didn't simply out of tradition and heritage.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:16 am

kerchi wrote:Just another curiosity but do you know when the 1st and 2nd Battalions stopped using the 34th and 55th Regts. titles in their posters, if at all? Maybe they didn't simply out of tradition and heritage.

Appears they never did - like you say, tradition. . In the two regular battalions:
1st Bn was always nominally "34th", and 2nd Bn "55th"
I have found "mess dress" uniform buttons from the 1920s in which the 1st Bn (Cumberland) still used 34th, and 2nd (Westmoreland - yes with the second "e") Bn 55th.

Maybe today men from KORBR (certainly Kendal - few Border veterans) do not like Duke of Lancs. title eh?!
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:23 am

plbramham wrote:Appears they never did - like you say, tradition......I have found "mess dress" uniform buttons from the 1920s in which the 1st Bn (Cumberland) still used 34th, and 2nd (Westmoreland - yes with the second "e") Bn 55th.

Maybe today men from KORBR (certainly Kendal - few Border veterans) do not like Duke of Lancs. title eh?!

I think if it was me I would want to show that long history and tradition. Shame the battalions have changed so much over the years and, of course, the Duke of Lancs title is a bit of a disappointment especially for the Bordermen! Should have kept KORBR, at least that title has a direct link back to the Border Regiment and indirect link to the 34th and 55th Regiments.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Chris, One day you must visit The Border Regiment chapel in Kendal parish church - still has the 1840s China dragon standard , captured by the 55th Westmoreland" (with the second "e"!) Regiment, and that dragon is in the centre of Border badges, and thus the "China" on buttons,
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby hussar1000 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:16 pm

How did I miss this??!! Exceptional piece of work and a great resource.

I see 2nd Lt TWH Boulay right arm of the cross lower circle whose WW1 trio I have. I will hunt out my glasses and now find more names that I recognise!

Great post.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Thank you,
Please feel free to copy or print the images - I am never "precious"" about my photos,
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:51 pm

plbramham wrote:Chris, One day you must visit The Border Regiment chapel in Kendal parish church - still has the 1840s China dragon standard , captured by the 55th Westmoreland" (with the second "e"!) Regiment, and that dragon is in the centre of Border badges, and thus the "China" on buttons

I would absolutely love to....with camera ready! It will happen, one day and I will probably have a couple of hundred photos of the church inside and out ready for the gallery. Another thing to look forward to when I eventually get up the Kendal for a visit! :-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to The Early Years