Victorian Volunteers medal

Topics about the Regiment's earliest years from 1881.

Victorian Volunteers medal

Postby plbramham » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:36 pm

I have a rather rare late Victorian medal & I have never seen another example for sale.
It's a (heavy!) silver 20 years long service medal for the "Volunteers", who were the predecessors of the "Territorials". The medals were issued un-named, unless privately inscribed later.
Of course the Border volunteers from Appleby, Sedbergh, Kirkby Lonsdale, Kendal etc went to the Boer War, but without a name that obviously cannot be proven to be the recipient. ( 20 years service, could have been a Sergeant at Relief of Ladysmith? Yeah- dream on eh!, but possible.)
Thing is , the medal was only instigated in 1894 and of course Victoria died in 1901, so it was only awarded for 7 years - must be rare?
Regards Paul
Attachments
Victorian volunteer medal2.jpg
victorian volunteer  medal.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: Victorian Volunteers medal

Postby mrdeacon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:01 pm

Cheers for sharing Paul great find pal.
Sorry I won't be able to see it this year as we are not coming down to your neck of the woods this year instead heading up to the North East I am afraid.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Victorian Volunteers medal

Postby hussar1000 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Later Victorian and then EDV11 were issued with impressed naming. The earlier Victorian are privately engraved. I have two EDV11 and one early Victorian covering all three volunteer battalions. Not particularly rare but still uncommon and not seen that often on the market.

One of my EDV11 comes with TFWM and TEM along with his BWM. Served initially with !st VB and then with 4th Territorial Bn when they came into existence in 1908. A rare and possibly unique group to the Border regiment. He was discharged in 1917 in India on reaching the age of 50.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to The Early Years