IWM Voices of the First World War

Podcasts about the Border Regiment or the Wars in general.

IWM Voices of the First World War

Postby kerchi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 pm

I have been listening to a lot of podcasts lately and one was recommended, which I thought I would share as you might find it interesting.

"Hear about the First World War from those who were there. This fascinating series uses original recordings to mark the centenary of 1914. Find transcripts, photos and more at http://www.1914.org"

You may have heard of it already but the Imperial War Museum have been doing a series called Voices of the First World War and each episode focuses on a different theme with veterans and civilians, British and German alike, talking about their experiences of the war. It makes for interesting audio and if you have iTunes or if you go directly to the 1914.org website where you can listen directly from there. I would certainly recommend you give this a try and see what you think.

Here is the link on the iTunes website: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/iwm-voices-first-world-war/id446748876
Here is the link on the official website: http://www.1914.org/podcasts/

It's free and currently there are 18 episodes.

Enjoy! ;-)

Oh, and listen out for epsiode 14 'Gallipoli' with a Border Regiment chap talking about the horrors there.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: IWM Voices of the First World War

Postby mrdeacon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks Chris that's brilliant cheers mate

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: IWM Voices of the First World War

Postby kerchi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 am

No problem, hope you enjoy it.

The sound quality is a bit up and down because the recordings would have been done at different times in different locations and collected over a period of years. I am guessing they have quite an extensive audio collection so there must be hours to pour over in making these podcasts. That would be a cool job if you get it!!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Podcasts