34th letterhead crest

Topics about the infantry regiment prior to its amalgamation with the 55th Regiment to form the Border Regiment in 1881.

34th letterhead crest

Postby plbramham » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:12 pm

34th (Cumberland) Regiment of Foot letterhead crest dating from between after 1856 (Sevastopol battle honour is present) and before 1881 ( when amalgamated with 55th to become The Border Regiment).
Attachments
34th letter crest.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: 34th letterhead crest

Postby kerchi » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Wow! Another one I haven't seen before. Thanks Paul.

Where are you getting these photos from? Your personal collection or are you visiting the BR Museum on a regular basis?

I have just looked through the Insignia Gallery and realised that you have uploaded a huge amount of badges, buttons and other forms of insignia. Very impressive and a great collection. I hope you manage to keep adding to it because outside of the BR Museum this is probably the best collection so far!! :-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Quite a few of the items are from my own collection picked up over the years at junk shops, jumble sales ,market stalls etc. Some have been given to me or swops from other badge collectors plus I have photographed other people's items. ( I know of two people with really huge collections - I believe Stuart at the museum has been drooling over them!) Some of the more impressive crests are actually details I've photographed from memorial plaques inside churches, e.g. Watermillock, Crosscrake.
You can still pick up items cheaply, e.g. I got about ten Victorian letterhead crests on e bay for £8 a year ago. Just keep your eyes open! ( and don't pay too much!)
Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:37 pm

I have frequently looked on ebay but never found anything like that I'd like to buy. I must be missing all the good stuff. Not much chance of Border Regiment memorabilia down here though, however, if I was interested in the Sussex Regiment that would be a different kettle of fish.

How have you looked after them? In folders? Or are they hidden in boxes under the bed or in the wardrobe? The same goes for all the badges and button etc. If I had a collection like that I would like to build some sort of display case for them lined with velvet. The last items I bought I gave to the museum so I know they went to a good home.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:21 am

I have a purpose built mahogany cabinet about 18 inches square and two feet high with shallow drawers about an inch deep which was given to me by an HLI collector who had sold his collection ( I discovered recently that his Kendal house was the home of a 8th Btn Border Pte. Thoms Henry Keates who died between 3-5th July 1916 during the Btn.'s first action on the Somme). I had to do a bit of re-lining of the drawers as the padded inserts had the impression of where his badges had been, but as it was free I wasn't complaining! ( I guess it would have cost well over £100 to buy)It means I can divide the drawers into categories: 34 & 55th Regiment, Victorian & Edwardian Border, WW1 Border, inter wars, WW2, Post WW2, KORBR, and Miscellaneous, plus one for odd & sods for Kings Own/ Duke of Lancs etc.
The metal items I leave open to the air and just dust (rarely!) not polish ( some people have been a bit too vigorous with harsh polish on one or two items in the past, plus I like to keep the patina). The paper items I put in acid free cellophane sleeves of the type you can get from stamp dealers. If I don't have the cotter pins to secure badges to the backing, I use paper clips through the lugs.
My stuff is to be left to the museum, but I don't intend checking out anytime soon, so they'll have to wait! ( Though the cancer this year was a close call),
Cheers Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10 pm

The cabinet sounds just like something I would love to have IF I had anything to put in it! I can tell from the passion you have about the regiment that the items in it are well looked after and the knowledge you have about the items are unsurpassed; it's one thing having collectables and another having collectables and knowing their history.

I glad you beat the cancer, so here's to many more years ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Two days to go on the letterhead you mentioned on ebay. Going to bid tomorrow ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:39 pm

I am currently bidding on the letterhead, I hope to win the bid by tomorrow morning.

plbramham wrote:I have a purpose built mahogany cabinet about 18 inches square and two feet high with shallow drawers about an inch deep which was given to me by an HLI collector who had sold his collection

Paul, can I just ask if it's possible to have a look at your display cabinet (privately by email if you prefer) so I have a better understanding of how it looks. There are a couple of antique shops near me and I was hoping to have a look in them for something suitable, thanks. If you'd rather not, no problem, just thought I'd ask ::)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi Chris,
Here’s the cabinet. As I said the bloke who gave it to me bought it purpose made for badges, but I guess it could have been equally used for medals, coins, and any small collectibles, or even butterflies or microscope slides. If you’re looking at antique shops maybe you might find one of those opticians’ cabinets that they used to keeps lenses in for eye tests which could work, or perhaps those trays which printers kept typeface in?, Cheers Paul.
Attachments
1 cabinet.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:01 pm

That is a beauty, thanks Paul. It looks bigger than I thought it would. Not sure if I'll be able to get something like this but as you say there could be something of a similar ilk. At least now I have an idea of what to aim for so I will have keep my eyes open.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Next

Return to 34th Regiment of Foot (Cumberland)