34th memorial in Portsmouth

Topics about the infantry regiment prior to its amalgamation with the 55th Regiment to form the Border Regiment in 1881.

34th memorial in Portsmouth

Postby IanT » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:11 pm

I just came across this:
http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk ... erland.htm
The link is from here: http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk ... /index.htm if you scroll down to the section The Nave Bench Plaques for a bit more information.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Re: 34th memorial in Portsmouth

Postby plbramham » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi that’s great!
I wonder how many forgotten memorials there are, or even ones destroyed when churches etc were demolished? ( I've saved two, and have assisted with the restoration and re-installation of a third)

Can I refer readers to this image on an old posting I made of an engraving of the 34th leaving the Crimea: viewtopic.php?f=154&t=2442&p=6473&hilit=crimea#p6473
Also this Crimea memorial to the 55th in Kendal parish church. viewtopic.php?f=155&t=2594 It’s so well hidden even the vicar had forgotten it - It’s on the wall of now enclosed store room. They are considering moving to to a more visible position - but it’s huge & heavy, so I guess that would be expensive!
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby hussar1000 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:07 pm

So many memorials tucked away throughout the world. Thanks for this interesting post.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby kerchi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:56 pm

I never seem to stumble across these! I'm either unlucky or don't have the patience to go through more than 7 or 8 pages in a google search.

Nice find though, shame there's no image.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:55 pm

I have it in mind to contact English Heritage at some time to see if it is possible to get a photo of the original. It won't be for a while though.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Ian,
Thanks for sharing this,
Regards, laters, Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to 34th Regiment of Foot (Cumberland)