WW1 transfers between Kings Own and Border Regt.

Topics about the Infantry Regiment with connections to the Border Regiment.

WW1 transfers between Kings Own and Border Regt.

Postby plbramham » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm

I have noted several examples of transfers between The Kings Own Royal (Lancaster) Regiment and the Border Regiment during the First World War, presumably as replacements. As the two regiments shared cross over recruiting areas in North Lancashire and Furness I suppose this was logical as the men came from adjoining regions,(presumably also the thinking between the amalgamation of The Kings Own and Border to form the KORBR in 1959.)
I have read somewhere in the past, I forget where now, that men were transferred in batches (platoons?). Anyone else heard of that?
I attach below an example I have of such a transfer, this medal trio to Pte Albert Edward Ryder, Kings Own no. 11619, Border no. 27371. (Note: all medals engraved Kings Own - I thought the BWM & Victory medals may be inscribed Border Regt.and the earlier 1914-15 star to the Kings Own. Perhaps the engravers mark concerning the change of regiment on the index card was missed?)
Ryder joined the Kings Own on 15th August 1914 and was discharged from the 3rd(Depot-Home Service) Btn. of the Border Regt on 14th May 1919.
Attachments
0001 ae ryder medals.jpg
Ryder's WW1 medal trio
0001 ae ryder mic.jpg
Ryder's medal index card
0001 ae ryder mic.jpg (100.22 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
0001 ae ryder attest KO.jpg
Ryder's attestion into The Kings Own 15th August 1914
0001 ae ryder attest KO.jpg (147.62 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
0001 ae ryder discharge.jpg
Ryder's 1919 discharge from The Border Regt.
0001 ae ryder discharge.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
plbramham
General
General

Return to King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)